Dog Anxiety

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mcclouds6, Aug 23, 2014.

1. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about dog anxiety? Our next door neighbor shoots off fireworks and our dog, starts pacing and shaking uncontrollably, I can not get him out of that state of mind. I have tried walking him, massaging, petting, playing with his toys (he will not even glance at the toy) holding him, giving him his favorite treat which he will not think about picking up. I dont know what to do. I hate seeing him like this. My neighbors shoot off fireworks pretty regular. Please Help... I need suggestions.

2. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

I've never had a dog with anxiety issues and thus have never purchased one off these, but have heard positive reviews about this type of product.

http://www.thundershirt.com/

3. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Call the Sheriff's department about your neighbors. What they are doing is illegal and cruel. Talk with your vet about meds if your dog still suffers after your neighbors have ceased their illegal activities. Good luck.

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Not that I am in favor of the inconsiderate-ness of shooting off fireworks if its not 4th of July or some other celebration (we have a neighbor with a kid that does it on the weekends on occasion). But, how are fireworks illegal? There is a noise ordinance that may be being violated if it is after 11:00 pm. Even the cheap ones they sell in this state at stores and tents prior to the 4th of July can be pretty loud if you are in close enough proximity. It would be a different story if you could prove they are shooting off ones bought in South Carolina or some other state that sells the higher-end fireworks that are illegal here in NC.

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Certain fireworks are illegal to sell or possess in North Carolina. These include firecrackers, ground spinners, bottle rockets, roman candles, and aerial fireworks. Violators of the law face misdemeanor charges punishable by a fine not to exceed $500 and/or imprisonment not to exceed six months.

In general, sparklers, fountains and novelty fireworks items that do not explode or are not intended to spin or to leave the ground and fly through the air, are permitted for use in North Carolina. A simple rule of thumb; anything that explodes or is projected into the air is illegal.

http://www.wect.com/story/18949388/fireworks

6. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

What does this have to do with the OP?

Re: the OP, you might consult with your vet regarding the anxiety or perhaps a good dog trainer. There are therapies out there that can make the dog less sensitive to loud noises.

7. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

What Tassy said. It's entirely possible that although annoying, it may be legal. The OP asked about how to help the DOG. On that note, there are behavioral therapies and meds available to help the poor pooch. I have one afraid of thunder. I can't make it stop thundering, so I have to focus on how to help the dog deal with the thunder.

8. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

We have thundershirts for a few of our dogs, and I believe they do help. It's like swaddling a crying baby - makes them feel a little more secure. We have a dark, safe place that they retreat to when the noise starts; usually fireworks, or gunshots and they always know when it is thundering somewhere before we even hear it. I know they are a bit pricey, and does not work for everyone; a friend gave them to me because she said it didn't didn't seem to help her dogs. I am glad that they work for us :)

9. mingomama

mingomama Well-Known Member

MIL's dog

goes through the same thing. When we know a storm is coming, we give her a benadryl immediately. It takes about 20-30 minutes for the drug to work on the dog. While we are waiting, we put the thundercoat on her. It does do wonders.

Same for fireworks. If we know ahead of time, then we can take appropriate action.

However for those times of immediate fireworks or gunshots, well, the dog just goes into the bathtub and shivers until it the noises stop.

10. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

"Thunder shirts" totally forgot about them. We used them for two of our dogs and they made quite a difference. We also used them when going to the vet, for three of our dogs this was always a stressful trip.

We still feel that a visit from the Sheriff's department would be the quickest and most effective means to help the pup. Not to mention everyone in the neighborhood. Shooting off fireworks on a regular basis borders on harassment in my opinion

11. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Communication between neighbors is step number one. Not calling the POPO to just pi$$ them off. Learn how to get along folks. It's always better than not getting along.

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

The sheriffs dept. can't do anything if there is no law being broken. Even if they come out and speak to them, and they are doing nothing illegal, then you've ****ed them off and they'll probably just do it even more. How does that help the dog? Are they approachable neighbors, maybe you could do something nice for them and open a line of communication, and then look for a compromise on the situation. Otherwise, I would just let sleeping dogs lie... and maybe they'll get bored of doing it, and it will become less and less of an issue. I would try the thunder-shirt idea and see how that works too. There's always going to be inconsiderate neighbors, no matter where you live, sometimes you just have to adjust, or move, or hope they move.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

The only problem I had with the Thunder Shirt was when I wasn't home. No matter what I tried, I could not get that little rascal to put the shirt on when he heard a storm coming.

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol:

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

This.

As long as it is within the noise ordinance time frame, there is not a thing you can do. Heck, they could be out there shooting firearms on their own property and as long as they were doing it safely and within the confines of the law - not a thing you can do.

Try the thundershirt as others suggested and live and let live.

16. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Actually not if they are setting off fireworks because they are illegal to have or to set off. If they are performing a legal activity the noise ordinance will protect them, but not from an illegal activity. Any firework that explodes is illegal for private use in NC, so if it can be heard next door it is going to be illegal.

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

The little whiz-bangs you buy at Walmart or the Fireworks tents here in NC can be heard next door... those aren't illegal. "Next door" is a pretty broad term too, are you living on a farm with 10 acres and hearing fireworks a 1/8 mile away, or something like the Wynston sub-division where you have 10 feet between you and your neighbor?

18. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear, if it can be heard in your neighbors house under normal conditions it is most likely going to be illegal. The limitations on the "poppers" is pretty severe.

14‑414. Pyrotechnics defined; exceptions.

For the proper construction of the provisions of this Article, "pyrotechnics," as is herein used, shall be deemed to be and include any and all kinds of fireworks and explosives, which are used for exhibitions or amusement purposes: provided, however, that nothing herein contained shall prevent the manufacture, purchase, sale, transportation, and use of explosives or signaling flares used in the course of ordinary business or industry, or shells or cartridges used as ammunition in firearms. This Article shall not apply to the sale, use, or possession of the following:
    (1) Explosive caps designed to be fired in toy pistols, provided that the explosive mixture of the explosive caps shall not exceed twenty‑five hundredths (.25) of a gram for each cap.
    (2) Snake and glow worms composed of pressed pellets of a pyrotechnic mixture that produce a large, snake‑like ash when burning.
    (3) Smoke devices consisting of a tube or sphere containing a pyrotechnic mixture that produces white or colored smoke.
    (4) Trick noisemakers which produce a small report designed to surprise the user and which include:
    a. A party popper, which is a small plastic or paper item containing not in excess of 16 milligrams of explosive mixture. A string protruding from the device is pulled to ignite the device, expelling paper streamers and producing a small report.
    b. A string popper, which is a small tube containing not in excess of 16 milligrams of explosive mixture with string protruding from both ends. The strings are pulled to ignite the friction‑sensitive mixture, producing a small report.
    c. A snapper or drop pop, which is a small, paper‑wrapped item containing no more than 16 milligrams of explosive mixture coated on small bits of sand. When dropped, the device produces a small report.

(5) Wire sparklers consisting of wire or stick coated with nonexplosive pyrotechnic mixture that produces a shower of sparks upon ignition. These items must not exceed 100 grams of mixture per item.
    (6) Other sparkling devices which emit showers of sparks and sometimes a whistling or crackling effect when burning, do not detonate or explode, do not spin, are hand‑held or ground‑based, cannot propel themselves through the air, and contain not more than 75 grams of chemical compound per tube, or not more than a total of 200 grams if multiple tubes are used. (1947, c. 210, s. 5; 1955, c. 674, s. 1; 1993, c. 437.)

19. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

We live out in the country. I am not upset with the fireworks, or the guns that go off, I just hate to see my little boy shaking uncontrollably, up under my feet and will not leave my side. I appreciate everyone's insight and I will try the thundershirt. My dog has to go to vet next week I will ask about any other alternatives.