Trying to find out Who owns propane tank?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by GarnerHome, Dec 9, 2014.

1. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

Mother-in-law got a new house from the VA foreclosure department last year that had gas logs. Propane tank was attached to the house, but had some propane left in it which she used up last winter. Trying to figure out how to get it refilled for her. I don't see any markings on it saying who owns it. How do you figure this information out? I suppose it's possible that the prior owner owned the tank but I have no way of proving that as it was a foreclosure.

If Amerigas owns it I am telling them to come pick it up. I'm never dealing with them again

2. esther

esther Active Member

it came with the house.... I guess it's yours now !!! especially if you haven't received a rental bill

3. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

F and G Distributing in Garner could probably tell you how to find the information of where the tank came from. Maybe. TR Lee in Clayton may be able to get it filled for you if you find out where it came from, but I think they ask for proof of ownership.

4. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Carry it to DR Wells Emporium. I've never been asked.

5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

If it has no markings on it for a company, and you haven't received a bill, then you probably own it. Call around for the best pricing, and be sure to tell them it is a customer owned tank, you get a discount from most places. I get my 500-gal tank filled every 2 years, when I buy over 100 gal at a time and because it is owned by me, I get a super good discount.

6. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Several of our neighbors have been told by a couple of different companies that they will not fill customer owned tanks sighting safety.

7. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

What size is the tank? When we had a 100lb tank we took it to get filled at DR Wells. We now have a 250lb purchased it through Dixie Denning and they will continue to fill. Most companies charge little to no rental as long as you use the gas regularly however if it is just seasonal and a FP you may be best to fill it on your own.

8. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

250 lbs.

9. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

Call LR propane at 919-669-1598. I just switched to them and they will come out and fill it. If it isn't safe they will let you know.
    Good hearted honest folks.

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I can't say I have ever heard that. I've had my tank for at least 6 years, and when I get it filled I usually call 3-5 local companies to compare prices. Usually they are all more than happy to fill my own tank and offer me discounts of 10-30 cents a gallon.

And another note, the best time to get it filled is usually around August/September when the propane prices are the lowest of the year.

11. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

A some what related topic, do any of these propane suppliers set up a new unvented fireplace? One came with the house and as far as we know it's never been used. Someone told us we needed to get a plumber out and then the propane people would come out. But then the plumber said he needs to have the propane in place. It's starting to sound like a catch-22. I guess we are looking for someone to take care of everything in one visit.

12. poppin cork

Most gas companies do installation of the line needed if you will use their gas service.

13. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Ours is vented but Amerigas set it all up for us. When we purchased a remote start system a couple years ago we paid them to come install it.

14. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

The propane company should be able to do the initial start up or a company that installs fireplaces like Tatum Insulation, I have never needed a plumber for a FP. Good Luck!

15. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

16. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

By code a licensed plumber is required to plumb natural gas in some areas because that black pipe is used. Propane may have a lower pressure which might by pass the concerns.

17. poppin cork

I don't believe that's the case in Johnston Co.

18. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Since Johnston county has a permit requirement for "gas piping", I would not want to bet on it either way. There is also generally an allowance for work without a permit but that also requires a licensed professional and no material change to the system.

19. poppin cork

Again

20. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking about propane, not natural gas. I have never used natural gas. We have always set up a line from our gas log tank to our outdoor grill (split off a line). We never consulted a plumber, just went to Hudson's and bought the parts to connect it. I guess I didn't consider "running the lines" for gas by utilizing a plumber.