Home> Sports 2 Ex-UNC Athletes Sue School, NCAA Over Academic Failures

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Sports generates a lot of money for the school, so it is not quite something for nothing for the players, especially the male players.

http://www.heraldsun.com/news/x1476703138/Athletics-financial-data-released-for-UNC-Chapel-Hill-Duke

At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, men’s basketball and football were the only sports teams to turn a profit in fiscal year 2014.

Men’s basketball revenues were up about 6 percent year-over-year to $20.9 million. After expenses, the team generated a profit of about $13.6 million.

Football revenues in the fiscal year were down about 6 percent year-over-year to about $33 million. The team generated a profit of about $15 million after expenses.

In total, men’s teams brought in revenues of $58 million, and generated a profit of about $25.56 million. Women’s teams brought in $6.5 million in revenue, and saw a net loss of about $6.8 million

Counting revenues not directly sourced from particular teams, UNC-Chapel Hill athletics reported $79.845 million in revenues from individual men’s and women’s teams. After expenses, the department saw a profit of $326,731.

In an email, Martina K. Ballen, senior associate director of athletics and the chief financial officer for UNC-Chapel Hill, said that will go to the fund balance, or reserve.

Ballen also said that athletics pays an annual administration support fee to the university of more than $800,000.

In addition, she said that athletics receives no revenue from the licensing of the school’s trademark, which she said is not typical for athletics programs. Those dollars go to need- and merit-based scholarships, she added.

3. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter who paid for the education Rocky. They got cheated out of getting one.

4. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

If they chose the easy route then it's on the athletes. If they were forced to take garbage then it's on the school.

5. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I agree with Rocky

They got what they paid for

I am sure there were some better qualified applicants who were turned town so the athletes could be there.

They could have taken the opportunity and worked hard and taken real classes

6. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

OR, they could have gone to a University that offers no such shenanigans. None of them were complaining when they were getting the free grades though. Anybody that goes to the liberal bastion of hell called UNC Chapel Hill gets what they deserve.

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree: And say hello to Art Pope, UNC. lol

8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'd love to get a free education from UNC also. But I am not an athlete. How many times have we all heard that student athletes leave after the 1st, 2nd, or third years for the pros and a 6 figure salary.

I feel absolutely no pity for student athletes.

9. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Says the Republican NCSU fan...... or it could be a Christian Duke fan that has a devil for a mascot...LMAO

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...chools-abandon-their-injured-athletes/275407/

The NCAA reports there are 20,718 college football injuries a year, with 841 of those spinal injuries. The National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research has recorded a steady rise in the number of football players who have permanent disability due to cervical cord and brain injuries.

Players with professional potential have the option to purchase Student-Athlete Disability Insurance through the NCAA, which guards against potential financial loses from career-ending damages. As a recent Atlantic article by Kevin Fixler explains, however, most individuals with these policies won't be able to cash in on them. The disability insurance only covers those who can never play their sport again and has resulted in fewer than a dozen successful claims in more than 20 years. With treatment and rehab, most can return, although it may not be to the same level as before the injury.
    Knee injuries are generally less debilitating, but with around 4,000 incidences per year, they're the most common in college football and cost roughly $11,000 to repair. A competitor who gets hurt, then, can easily rack up thousands of dollars worth of medical costs. "Their situation is very vulnerable," says Ellen Staurowsky, a sports management professor at Drexel University who has researched various aspects of the college sports business.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/11/college-athletes-of-the-world-unite/

When I played basketball for UCLA, I learned the hard way how the NCAA’s refusal to pay college athletes impacted our daily lives. Despite the hours I put in every day, practicing, learning plays, and traveling around the country to play games, and despite the millions of dollars our team generated for UCLA — both in cash and in recruiting students to attend the university — I was always too broke to do much but study, practice, and play.

What little money I did have came from spring break and summer jobs. For a couple summers, Mike Frankovich, president of Columbia Pictures and a former UCLA quarterback, hired me to do publicity for his movies, most memorably Cat Ballou (which was nominated for five Academy Awards).

11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

The last thing I'd perceive you doing is playing basketball. It would be more like The Glee club president.