Sling TV

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Apr 25, 2015.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me anything about Sling TV?? Is it good, any problems, how much it cost, how it works, etc..... Was thinking about getting this but wanted to see if anyone had any input on it... Thank You :)

2. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

bosoxfan and robbie like this.
  3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Thank You so much lgb0250!!! :)

4. biggrw

biggrw Active Member

It works fairly well. Just make sure you have enough upload speed on your internet connection. Your other consideration must be standard definition or HD. That changes the initial cost and upload speed requirements. No costs other that initial outlay. Have used it for two years and suits my needs. (Used largely to watch the Canes while traveling)

5. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Biggrw, is that Sling Box or Sling TV? Sling TV has only been out for a few months.

6. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Like you said, he has to be talking about the sling box. With sling TV you need A decent internet connection but upload speed is irrelevant since you are not uploading anything. The appeal to a many is the no long term commitment aspect. If you only want it for a month or two, fine. Just cancel with no penalty. Also since there is no installation required it makes it really easy to get started.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  7. cube_zombie

cube_zombie Member

I wrapped up the 7 day trial last Saturday. I was watching through the slingtv app on my roku2. Had a lot of freezing/reboots and a good bit of lag. The service itself was ok. I'm still looking for that true a la carte option. I watched exactly 4 channels (tbs, hbo, tnt, and espn) and ignored the rest. I think hbo is still overpriced, $15 a month...come on. Good HD signal for those 4 channels though.

Overall it was a pretty "meh" experience. With the roku2 freezing up constantly it was beyond annoying and I also haven't had cable for a couple of years so commercials drove me up the wall. I decided it was not worth upgrading to a roku3 to keep the service. I'll stick with Amazon instant for shows I want to keep up with (even if it is a day late which is not "instant" and aggravates me) and Amazon Prime library for random time waster shows.