Should Cleveland become a town?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by newsjunkie23, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Because he has everyone on ignore and was going crazy to get some attention perhaps?

Hught likes this.
  2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Why does anyone create a town?

1) Because there is a high concentration of people and businesses in an area
    2) It is geographically apart from other towns / cities
    3) Outgrows existing services/support from local government (county)
    4) Provide a better sense of place
    5) Have more influence over own immediate affairs

Wayne Stollings likes this.
  3. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

i vote no incorporation. "cleveland" name is not a option. this area will always be cleveland to me. cleveland springs? lol where are these springs you speak of. are they healing springs? is there a west johnston? like west jefferson! then cleveland high school will not like that. we can't win.

4. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

IMO, if you are for or against incorporation because of what the town may be called, it's for the wrong reasons. Incorporation is for zoning, planning, and municipal services. What the town is called is of no real consequence.

5. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

when did you move to this area?

poppin cork likes this.
  6. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

7. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

8. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

9. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

A little less than a generation ago. I didn't move here because of the name of the area. I doubt anyone else has. I'm not saying we should pick the stupidest name we can think of, either. I'm just saying that a name is not a good reason for deciding whether or not to incorporate.

10. HillaryRodham

HillaryRodham Member

Silly Petulant one! It is all about Control and Taxes. I will be like your Mr. Burns!

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I agree, sort of. It is not THE reason to incorporate, but serious consideration must be given to it, obviously. There were many suggestions at the time, Cleveland Springs won...somehow. Personally, I think it sounds like a subdivision. There were a litany of other names to choose from, but to be honest Cleveland School is the most appropriate if not somewhat lengthy. It is no different than Archer's Lodge or Wilson's Mills. Regardless, the reason to incorporate is to have more immediate influence over OUR surroundings and not people from Smithfield.

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

We are now the Cleveland Township if you look it up on any community map, if we want to be incorporated and be taken seriously by the JOCO planning commision then people that want it and don't consider it as a common sense given need to show up and ask for it, the only ones that showed up for the last meeting many years ago were the ones against it. You can say all you want online but unless you are willing to actually participate in the process then it is a wasted procedure. Personally i don't think the name Clevelandton would be bad :)

Sherry A. and Wayne Stollings like this.
  13. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Whatever you call it, make it easy for folks to get it right. Archer Lodge is frequently called Archer's Lodge, which is not correct. Not sure what the story is behind that, but I heard it with the 's more than not when I lived there.

clrracer likes this.
  14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Kind of like how Walmart is called WatmartS?

FWIW, that area has always been known as Cleveland School.

Lucky1 likes this.
  15. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

All of us old timers (since 2001 make me an old timer now?) should know that there are plenty of springs South of DR Wells between McLemore, Polenta and Matthews. theyt aren't very mystical, but they keep the cows watered! The old name on the maps is willow spring or springs. I can say that Hatteras6 has the right idea.
    I can see that phrase on a plaque in front of the 20 story, downtown Cleveland Springs city office building in a a few decades.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  16. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

No it doesn't.

17. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I am curious where do you see the 20 story office building?

Just a thought. With DOT eventually adding an exit off of I-40 at Cornwallis Road, I can see the 'downtown' area residing around that Langdon Pond that is just on the north side of I-40 and on the east side of Cornwallis road, Making the lake a centerpiece and a park and building around it. This way your 20 story office building, condos, stores, municipal building can overlook the Langdon Pond and the office building can even look down upon I-40

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  18. clrracer

clrracer Member

It is derived from the old Masonic Lodge, Archer No. 157, or more commonly the Archer Masonic Lodge.

Duane

Lucky1 likes this.
  19. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

And who the hell wants all that **** out here. And you wonder why we curse damn Yankees that move here and want to take over the community while owning 1 acre or less.

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Anger issues?