There is so much land being developed

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by roca1216, Jul 30, 2015.

1. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

well it was good while it lasted. There is a company tearing up trees for son lan development in the woods behind me and swift creek. They are coming off Cleveland road and working behind autumn run subdivision. anyone know how to see what's going to be developed? Is there a county website? I am sure it's houses.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

East or West of I40? On the east side is River Oaks, a huge development that has been talked about in depth on here. On the west side is a neighborhood called Summerwind Plantation that has been under construction for a while now.
    On the map below, the Red is River Oaks, and the Yellow is Summerwind. Or is it a different place?

3. jesse82nc

4. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Autumn Run is down further to the right on your pictures. Between Steel Bridge Rd and Barber Mill Rd on 1010.

5. jesse82nc

This property? I can't find anything owned by Son Lan in that area. This one is owned by "Carolina Packers", same as the land just east of Autumn Run.

upload_2015-7-31_12-57-23.png

6. roca1216

This is it. A company is bull dozing a road for surveyors. The road runs on the property line behind autumn run and dowdy estates in the open area before property 4. I cant see building anything there. It's nothing but deep trenches with rain run off and lots of hilly areas. Then at the bottom it's the creek. I believe I'm going to loose my fishing hole. :mad:

7. jesse82nc

It's about 660 acres total they own. All the same company.

upload_2015-7-31_16-41-2.png

8. roca1216

Thanks wonder if it's going to be houses. Golf course would be nice!

9. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

the fellow that owned it is dead. If I wanted to keep fishing for free, I'd just buy his 660 acres

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If anyone here wants development to slow, you have to make it known to County officials. No one can prevent people from selling their land nor can they prevent it from being subdivided, but it can be done more responsibly and at a more measured pace. Consider new developments near Cleveland Elementary school which already has trailers. Personally, I feel that development should be tied to school capacity.

11. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Seems like the county commissioners have it out for the Cleveland community. Since that area does not seem to want to become its own town, the county is just blindly approving whatever anyone asks for.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Although it does stem from a one-size-fits all planning policy. What works as a bare minimum standards in the eastern part of the county does not apply (at all) to the 4042 area. I am sure they have some special use zones and overlays, but these seem to have very little impact on what developers are allowed to do / not do.

13. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

660 acres of hills, forest, and other goodies make for a great hunting spot....Maybe the State could buy it and put in a game lands!!!

Or A six Flags

Or someone will back my idea of a go kart, mini golf, laser tag, arcade, etc etc idea.

Rockyv58 and Hatteras6 like this.
  14. jesse82nc

Interestingly enough, Carolina Packers owns about 1100-1200 acres in Johnston County, most of it in the Cleveland area. Seems strange that a hot dog company would own so much land, but I guess it was an investment. Here's a bunch they own (around 325 acres) around 70 and Ranch Road as well:

upload_2015-8-3_8-35-2.png

15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. That is why I feel we need to incorporate and take charge of our future. To quote Eldridge Cleaver "There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem."

16. jesse82nc

Interestingly enough, there a lot of large blocks of land like this that will probably one day turn into subdivisions. Right next to this one being developed, is a 1100+ acre block owned by one company.

For some reason I can't upload a photo of it though.

17. jesse82nc

There we go.

Roberts & Wellons.PNG

18. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Not strange at all. To operate a hot dog company you have to kill hogs. To have hogs you can grow them. His farm was Double J Ranch thus the Ranch road. His name was Buck Jones and he raised some of the best quarter horses available. He supplied Terry Bradshaw and some other folks with horses. I'm sure some of the land was an investment but some of it was for livestock purposes.

19. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

20. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Really? I'm not sure what is left of "pristine country" in the 40/42 interchange/Walmart supercenter/nail salon/chinese buffet/fast food tourist mecca to begin with. You guys should be jumping up and down for joy that this already-overdeveloped, ugly commercial area will be getting a new neighborhood, because that neighborhood will have LOTS of people to complain if the roads aren't upgraded by the time that neighborhood gets filled to capacity.

Anything to speed up the 540 southern loop (go orange or lilac route!!) completion to some time before 2023 will have me jumping up and down for joy, and you will be too when there are 6 lanes between 312 and 306, a modern interchange at 312 and no more 3 light cycle delays on a damn Saturday morning trying to get from Bojangles to Lowes