CHS Student Parking Pass

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by twisty, Dec 22, 2010.

1. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

Of course I wait until schools are closed before I realize we need this information...

Does anyone know how much the student parking pass is at Cleveland High? Also, if it is prorated on a semester basis since half the year is already over?

Thanks!

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Not sure of the cost but they will prorate it.

3. flutebandmom

flutebandmom Member

At WJHS, parking passes are $75 for the year. I think all the schools in the county charge the same.

4. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

I appreciate the info. Thanks!

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what we paid at Clayton High School. Make sure to check out the parking spots with your kid. Some are easier to pull in and out of than others and some have standing water when it rains. Much easier to find one that is safe, if it is not already taken.

Sherry

6. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sherry, but my daughter says since it's just freshman and sophomores right now at Cleveland, most of the student parking area is empty and so they haven't had to assign spots. It's just park "wherever".

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Where does this money go? 75 bucks per pass * x students = a considerable collection of money just to allow a student to park on pavement on tax payer funded property.

8. Sherry A.

Good question.

Sherry

9. Hatteras6

Hoping that someone at the county level will respond to this, as the new principal at Cleveland HS came from Cleveland Middle. Having had a student there under his questionable leadership, I have no faith in anything he says and am pretty sure that he'll punt the answer.

10. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

At East Wake High school it is $170.00.............my boys will ride the bus FOREVER!!!

Sherry A. likes this.
  11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Road maintenance.

12. Sherry A.

lol

13. Hatteras6

Still waiting on a response from any high school or the county. I know they are aware of this board. Better call Saul.

14. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

The cost to pave a parking lot is about $1.50 per square foot. A parking space is generally about 9x18 or about 162 square feet. To pave a parking space it would cost about $243 (lets round up to $250). This does not include the areas in the parking you use to navigate the lot, the entrances, aisles, etc. That extra space is almost equal in square footage to the parking spaces. So now it is closer to $500 per parking space to pave a parking lot. So at only $500 divided by the $75 they charge, they could use the money to pave the parking lot about once every 6-8 years. I'm not sure if that is how often they do it, but 8-10 years is about average for a parking lot resurfacing. They also should be resealing it every year or two, that costs money as well.

Just some food for thought on where the money probably goes.

15. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

They still run busses up and down the roads in JoCo. Put Jr on one if parking cost too much. I wish they would quadruple parking and get some of these drivers off the roads. JMO

jesse82nc likes this.
  16. Hatteras6

As for the bus, it comes way too early for her to take it. And, since she's at JCC for the other half of the day, how's that going to work?
    As for the repair and maintenance of the PL at Cleveland HS, since it's a fairly new school, I've seen no improvements. And, check me if I'm worrg, but isn't the parking lot at a high school accounted for in the design and construction?
    Presuming 300 kids a year pay that fee, that's a considerable amount of money that apparently has no public accounting of the amount taken in, the current balance, any outlays and to whom..curiouser and curiouser for money paid into a public entity.

17. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I am honestly not sure of the answer to this question, but I did want to mention that when the school opened, the parking spots were not numbered to help with traffic control and such. That was a maintenance cost that I am not sure who paid for, so maybe some of the funds are used for that. Great question though!