Southern Impressions Exhibit at the Museum of History

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Wayne Stollings, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

If you go to this exhibit you will see a very nice bottle tree at the entrance commissioned especially for this exhibit by an artist whose studio just happens to be in the building with my office. This particular piece of work is scheduled to become part of the permanent exhibit in front of the museum once this exhibit closes and any tours are finished.

Congratulations to my older son on this accomplishment.

December 11, 2015-July 4, 2016
    Admission is FREE!

Sherry A. likes this.
  2. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Congrats! My son gave the wife one that was a cat face tree from her dads farm. She and I love the bottle tree. Old southern history at it's best. The bucket catch cuts are still visible as he poly'ed over the whole tree.

3. Wayne Stollings

4. Wayne Stollings

Thanks, it was a big surprise for us when he was contacted and more so when he decided to combine blacksmithing and modern welding to make the roots for this new tree so it could be installed indoors.

5. poppin cork

Have you got a picture you can post?

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My problem is that it is hard to maintain my bottle tree when neither I or my family drink wine or other alcoholic beverages.
    Due to rocks kicking during the mowing process I am about 3 down. Recycling center says I can drop off but not pick up!

7. Wayne Stollings

8. poppin cork

The birds nest is cool. That's impressive. Thanks

9. Wayne Stollings

Still working on that aspect. Can't use copper colored wire since it will be outside and someone may try to steal it thinking it is copper. Going to make it more of a solid nest though.

10. Wayne Stollings

The funny thing is that his younger brother was interviewed on Good Morning America and had some of his work exhibited in the Corcoran Museum in Washington DC for a project through Duke University that he did when he was in middle school school. Now they both will have been exhibited in a museum and I probably should be in a museum exhibit .... :D

poppin cork likes this.
  11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Very impressive.

Sherry

12. NJ2NC

NJ2NC Well-Known Member

Very interesting.

13. Wayne Stollings

He was just informed that his tree will now be a permanent exhibit in one of the gardens at the museum since the exhibit has closed.

Auxie, Hught and poppin cork like this.
  14. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Wayne, is your boy a member of NC ABANA. They hold a couple of meetings a year at my uncle's shop. It's quite a gathering of quire mfs if you know what I mean. We got forging, TIGging, lathes, mills, foundry, presses. You ought to see the old timers fire an anvil!!!

15. Wayne Stollings

I don't think so. I will check with him though. He did one of the one week blacksmith courses up in the mountains a while back and stays in touch with the instructors fairly regularly so they may have clued him in on that. I have been tying to track down my grandfather's old shop. I wanted it when he passed a way but one of my uncles wanted to keep it intact and then later sold it without letting anyone know. He passed away a few years before Jeremy took an interest so it us hard to track after so long.

16. Wayne Stollings

I was wrong, he is a member of NC ABANA.

17. poppin cork

That's great man. Get us a new pic when it is installed please.

Sherry A., Auxie and Hught like this.