Cary Town Center - slow death

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by markfnc, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

There was a place called the Fox and Hound there too if I am remembering correctly. Had English decor and dishes and a little on the pricey side, but great food.

2. Wayne Stollings

They have reached out to the Food Truck folks and moved two of them into the food court. Porchetta has some great pork tacos, but they are a little smaller. I forget the name of the other one, but it specializes in various grilled cheese sandwiches. Their pig and fig is great.

markfnc and Sherry A. like this.
  3. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

For the people that live in Durham I hope you are correct. But when a place like Five Guys bails it makes one wonder!

4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I've heard of the fox and hound. never been. I think seldom blues was around 91 / 92. Seldom blues was in cary, waverly pt I'm pretty sure. Ain't that the place that got demolished or whatever?

5. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

I think you might be talking about Red Hot & Blue. Funny thing is that they are still there. Been at least 15 years I know of.

I know the Fox and Hound used to be in MacGregor Village. Had great fish and chips. I heard they eventually moved to Raleigh. There used to be a great New York style deli in MacGregor along with a steakhouse and Tony's Oyster Bar also.

6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

no. not red hot and blue. It was a hi end restaurant at waverly place in cary. Ain't waverly place the cary mall that got dozed? been a long time

7. Wayne Stollings

Yes, my memory failed me on the location.

8. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

Nope, it's still there. Corner of Tryon Rd and Kildaire Farm Rd. Red Hot and Blue is still there serving up bbq while listening to blues music in the background. Don't know what it has evolved into but it used to be a nice place to spend an evening at.

9. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I agree, Southpoint is usually busy. compared to Triangle Town not many empty stores at all. the exterior part is very alive. the food court has many new local places. the Porchetta opened. they are a food truck ith amazing sandwiches. another new local food place opened also.

10. markfnc

11. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

12. markfnc

I think the $174 Million buy included the $171 million in debt. So that bought the mall for the debt, plus $3 Million. Plus they say they are going to invest a lot in the mall. I bet a lot of the tenants there are right on the edge, and if a the new owners raises rent per square foot others could close.

13. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

Baby Boomers can be Grandmothers now! (Click above to read last paragraph)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  14. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Newsflash, Red Hot and Blue went away in 07 and just came back last year. It was OOB for nearly a decade guys. The Waverly Place revival brought them back. As an aside, went to one in Chapel Hill a couple times as a student, was never impressed. For anyone who grew up with either Eastern OR Western NC BBQ, whatever the hell they make doesn't remotely compare. "Brisket?" No thanks, I'll take my Speedy's or Smithfields.

15. markfnc

After Ikea backed out from Cary Town I heard the owners declared bankruptcy. I've heard of other malls turning old Sears/Macys etc. into retirement homes/apartments. Northgate in Durham is turning the former Macy's into the Duke Medical offices/call center. Either of those would bring traffic into the mall, and rent at least. I think it'll get down to 1 mall per town. Crabtree will survive, Streets of Southpoint will too. Others will have to be creative to survive.

16. markfnc

With the Microsoft store and Apple store South Point will be fine. I do think it'll come down to 1 mall per decent sized town. Durham will have South Point, Raleigh will have Crabtree. small towns like Wilson will have malls close. the rest will be outdoor shopping centers.

Malls will have to have specialty stores to draw traffic. Like Microsoft/Apple/ etc.

Auxie likes this.
  17. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

18. markfnc

I guess when Crabtree bought the store from Sears a few months ago, they knew this was coming, and wanted control of the space and not have to deal with another property owner.
    I wonder if they will demo and do some more parking with some smaller stores, or turn whole store into more small stores?

19. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

There needs to be an inexpensive bus route from the 40-42 area to all the Malls and local cities. There would be a lot more customers!!

poppin cork, Rockyv58 and Hught like this.
  20. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Triangle bus has a route from I think Clayton, and has carpools to RTP daily. Not sure on times and weekends. But its something.

Auxie likes this.