"Cleveland Market" - Proposed Shopping Center on Cleveland Road near Fire Station

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Keyword = "Market"?

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

That's what happens when it gets posted on Social Media. Two FB pages posted it up within a few hours earlier today.

https://www.facebook.com/garnernc/posts/10154565854152786
    https://www.facebook.com/JohnstonCounty/posts/1133024536708965

3. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We couldn't agree more about the planning department. From what we have learned they don't live here in the Cleveland area - prime growth - so they aren't doing anything to protect it.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  4. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Seems like its time to get a NEW Planning Department!!:rolleyes: One that's for us, not just for those with the money.:eek:

Rockyv58 likes this.
  5. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Ok.

6. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Who would you tell no and why ? You somehow feel you should have more say so on property rights than the owner? Did you get to move here or have you been here for generations? How far away from YOUR house should they allow growth? Think about it, really.

Rockyv58, jesse82nc and cynadon like this.
  7. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

speaking of weird

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Thanks for dropping by! :D

9. jesse82nc

100% agree. Growth is what will ultimately lead to incorporation. Why would anyone want to keep growth away? Lack of growth will lead to a decline in property values and ultimately people moving away and median incomes dropping. Think about areas like Selma and Four Oaks. They are nice areas overall, but not much is going on there. I would much rather see our area thrive like Garner is right now. New businesses will bring new jobs, and that will help bring new homes, which will bring new schools.

I for one welcome growth to the area. I enjoy seeing my property value on the rise and new businesses closer to my house.

And as for Sheetz, well I think that is one the best things to happen to the area. We have some of the lowest gas prices within the state in our area, and the stations that are greedy are going out of business (Exxon). I'd much rather give my business to a completely American family owned business than to some giant corporate oil company. I also welcome the fact that they have finally brought E85 to the area. I filled up the other day for $1.10 a gallon with my Sheetz cards, last time I bought gas that cheap was probably 15 years ago.

Bucky, markfnc, poppin cork and 2 others like this.
  10. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Just personal beef and probably noting to do with this thread at all. But all the logging done in the area of recent should be handled through the planning board as well. It seems afterwards they leave the land looking worse than when they started. Look over across the street where they want to put the Cleveland Market and over on Watkins and Grill Roads. I know last year they were suppose to clear cut the woods next to my home. They have all the little blue and pink flags out. They had a contract with my neighbor to go through his yard, but the woods were constantly wet and the logging company did not want to get their vehicles stuck. The contract expired and my neighbor did not renew their right-of-way.

11. jesse82nc

I'm not really one to want more government involvement in what I can and cannot do with my own properly that I own. Where would you draw the line? I own a few acres, so what if I wanted to cut down one tree? 6 trees? A dozen? What if I wanted to cut down 50 trees? Clear a full acre of my property? Two acres?

Which of these would warrant getting the government involved on what I do on my own property?

markfnc likes this.
  12. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Rocky, I've said before, if you don't like it, buy it. Timber, like all crops, has a harvest window. Right behind your house, probably before your arrival, 120 acres of pines were harvested by Weyerhauser in 5 days. If you dont know what to look for, you can't even tell today. Pay for it and you can have all the greenspace you want. Same for telling others what and how to develop!!!

poppin cork likes this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

When we logged some of our property in VA there was a set back from the property line which was supposed to have been recognized by all loggers. Mine did but the one for the property adjoining mine did not. That logger cut to the property line and took about 5K worth of trees from my property in addition. This was prior to my purchase of the acreage or someone would have gone to jail over that one.

14. Wayne Stollings

Having a plan to develop by is very necessary, which means some people will have to be told what they cannot do to their property. Commercial, Industrial, Residential, and Agricultural do not always mix together well in close proximity. I used to watch the political signs up in the mountains for and against zoning and establishing standard building codes. Many people do not want to be told what to do with their property, but in the process they can make a mess of it and the property of others.

15. cynadon

A long term plan is an excellent idea. As far as I can tell, the plan is for continued growth. I know 2 folks who resigned from community service because of constant phone calls at night. "hay, I bought a house and don't want another one built near by." We cant have it both ways. Most of the BS was created in the early 90's. It ain't like that anymore unless you subscribe to NIMBY.

16. Wayne Stollings

It seems we agree on the planning and the problem with NIMBY approaches.

I had an associate whose house stood across from the current location of Southpoint Mall. At the time they were proposing the mall he was approached to sell his property for a convenience store. He twisted my arm to attend the meetings with him because he felt I was better at making a point and getting it across. I don't know if I did that or not but he was able to sell his property and buy another nicer house elsewhere after it was all said and done. I was amused at the number of people who spoke up about why they bought a house in the area because there was plenty of woodland for views. They were not so amused when I offered them my friends property for what he had been offered if they wanted to keep it less developed, much less his neighbors who owned the property where Southpoint is now. At least the convenience store turned into P.F. Changs as a new destination .....;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  17. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Wonderful:D:D debate with civil responses. What is 4042 coming to?:D:D

Hught, Rockyv58 and cranky like this.
  18. cynadon

Many thanks Wayne. It's conceivable to hold a few $$$ worth of property while struggling to run a business. Just because you enjoy the surrounding area doesn't mean its ok to shut down the folks who have been around forever. Running a business is difficult. Real estate is a liability unless you use it or sell it.

19. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I'm not against progress in the Cleveland School Road area, and a market closer to us would be nice, but you can bet it won't be a Harris Teeter, so we'll probably get dumped on with a crummy strip mall type of place. It would be real nice if we could at least vote on what it'll look like. It's our community after all, and we should have a say in it.

20. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I think people should do what they want with their own private properties, but corporations who do not have a stake in our community should abide by the type of buildings we'd like to have here. That doesn't mean restrictive "government regulations", it means that you take a common sense approach to growth, so that we don't get dumped on by people who don't even live here, but who want to profit from us. I love driving by the old Lee Finch House, and a strip mall supermarket near that property would ruin that area.

Auxie likes this.