Chops Property

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jlc007, May 28, 2016.

1. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

feeding through

poppin cork likes this.
  2. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

"trough" ? d&s cafeteria in cary has very good food and reasonably priced. wish they were in johnston county or white oak.

Gray Fox likes this.
  3. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I don't think you can build a ramp that close to another on interstates. They were talking about Cornwallis by the race track.

Rockyv58, markfnc and jesse82nc like this.
  5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

At this point, I can't see how or where they would even build that without impacting newer construction. They would have to go a bit east of Walmart on 42 and that land there is not great for building on with the topography and how wet it is from the river.

4042.JPG

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I know when I went to the NC DOT public hearing at the elementary school a while back, they had three options:
    1.) was to redo highway 42 over 40
    2.) redo highway 42 and add ramps at Cleveland school road
    3.) add ramps at Cornwallis road.

My choice would be to do 1 and 3

Romeo likes this.
  7. jesse82nc

Honestly, they probably need at least 1 and 3 the way growth is going in this area.

NC42 needs to be 4 lanes from Walmart all the way to US70/I42. That should be one of the biggest priority items. NC42 at Cornwallis is a nightmare at rush hour now, I can't imagine it in a year or two with more people in the area. It has over a 1 mile backup in each direction from that traffic light currently.

Getting rid of the light on NC42 at Glen Rd should also be a priority, it's way too close to the on ramps.

After that, we really need either I40 to be widened from NC42 to exit 301, or NC540 to connect to US70/I42/I40 from either direction.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  8. Rockyv58

I know on option 1 there were going to get rid of the traffic light at the McDonalds but put one between Little Ceasars and Dairy Queen.

I do remember some years ago on NC DOT's web page they had future plans to widen nc42 from nc50 all the way to nc70 in clayton. But when I went to the public hearing that plan was off their website.

9. jesse82nc

This was the most recent info I could find:

Clayton
    ▪ Widening N.C. 42 East in Clayton from Glen Laurel Road to Buffalo Road. Right-of-way acquisition is scheduled for 2016 and will cost about $3.1 million. Construction will cost about $17.2 million in 2018.

▪ Building a five-mile “southern connector” road in Clayton that will start at the intersection of Shotwell Road and U.S. 70 Business before looping southeast toward N.C. 42 East. Right-of-way and utilities are scheduled for 2024 and 2025, but construction is unfunded.

▪ Widening N.C. 42 West from N.C. 50 in the Cleveland community to U.S. 70 Business in Clayton. Right-of-way and utility costs will total about $16 million and are scheduled for 2021. Construction will cost about $74 million and is scheduled for 2023-2025.

Cleveland
    ▪ Access improvements near the I-40-N.C. 42 interchange. Right-of-way and construction will cost about $40 million and are scheduled for 2019.

▪ A road-widening and traffic-management project on I-40 from the Wake County line to N.C. 42. The project will cost about $36.9 million. Right-of-way acquisition is scheduled for 2018, and construction is scheduled from 2018 to 2020.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  10. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

I thought that it was supposed to be in front of Wal-Mart.
    But either way, hope that it's built real soon.

11. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

That would help. anyone coming from West View going to Clayton could use that and get that traffic off 42. Same other way.
    Looks like by 2025 all are problems will be solved.

12. Rockyv58

This one I can not picture. Considering Shotwell road ends and the Clayton Center.

And I guess they still haven't figured if they are adding an exit at Corwallis

13. jesse82nc

I don't think it's worded right, from the original maps I saw, it's going from the intersection of Guy Rd and NC42 down to where the new Sheetz is at Rose St at NC42 and Business 70.
    This is what the "Southern Connector" was:
    southern connector.JPG

Rockyv58 likes this.
  14. Rockyv58

Oh Okay. Do you remember a while back I think I had mentioned something to that effect but I thought it was going to be Guy Road that was suppose to go and eventually connect to 42E by the Sheetz. When I that it said Shotwell it got me confused.
    Thanks

15. jesse82nc

Found this, gives a little more detail and shows it going all the way to where it says at Shotwell and 70:
    southern connector 2.JPG

And FYI, this was first considered in 1996. On the later maps I found, it just shows the bottom half.
    clayton.JPG

16. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We thought that was a condition for the approval of the Walmart?

17. jesse82nc

This took some digging:

Walmart Access Road, Local ID JOHN0068-H The existing interchange on I-40 at NC 42 (Exit 312) already experiences substantial congestion daily, which is further hindered by a current substantial lack of control of access. The existing intersection of NC 42 and Cleveland Road (SR 1010) also experiences daily congestion due to the same reasons. In this area, NC 42 and Cleveland Road (SR 1010) are both projected to exceed Level of Service (LOS) D by 2035. Improvements are needed in order to relieve anticipated congestion and to maintain a minimum LOS D on the existing facilities. The CTP project proposal is to provide a new location 4-lane divided cross section from NC 42 (east of the I-40 interchange) to Cleveland Road (SR 1010). This improvement will provide an alternate route to NC 42 and Cleveland Road (SR 1010), helping to alleviate congestion at the interchange and the intersection, in addition to the NC 42 improvement project (JOHN0018-H) and the interchange improvement project (I-4739).

18. jesse82nc

Of note, these were some of the other high priority items listed from a recent report.

I-40: Widen ultimately to an eight-lane divided freeway from Wake County to I-95, and to a six-lane divided freeway from I-95 to Sampson County.
    I-40: Construct a new interchange at Cornwallis Road (SR 1525).
    I-40 Interchange: Improve interchange at NC 42.
    I-95: Widen ultimately to an eight-lane divided freeway from Harnett County to US 70, and to a six-lane freeway from US 70 to Wilson County.
    I-95 Interchange: Modify interchange at Keen Road (SR 1178) and overpass at Hockaday Road (SR 1162).
    I-95 Interchange: Improve interchange at US 301 / US 701 / NC 96.
    I-95 Interchange: Improve interchange at US 70 Business.
    US 70: Widen to a six-lane freeway from Wake County to the US 70 Bypass split in Selma, and convert to a four-lane freeway from the US 70 Bypass merge in Selma to Wayne County.
    NC 42: Widen to a four-lane boulevard from Wake County to US 70 Business and from US 70 Business to NC 96.

NC 42 (Wake County to US 70 Business), Local ID JOHN0018-H NC 42 from Wake County to US 70 Business is projected to exceed Level of Service (LOS) D by 2035. Improvements are needed in order to relieve anticipated congestion and to maintain a minimum LOS D on the existing facility. Also, the general policy of the Capital Area MPO is to designate all NC or higher routes in the MPO as boulevards to accommodate anticipated future traffic to the Triangle Region. This section of NC 42 is currently a 2-5 lane, 24-60 foot cross section, with a continuous center turn lane in some segments. The CTP project proposal is to provide a 4-lane divided cross section for this facility. The addition of a median will allow for better access control, thereby providing higher mobility for the facility.
    The Capital Area MPO 2035 LRTP identifies the sections of NC 42 as follows:
    • Wake County to Old Stage Road (SR 1006) as part of project A407a, and
    • Old Stage Road (SR 1006) to NC 50 as project A407b, and
    • NC 50 to I-40 as project A407c, and • I-40 to US 70 (Clayton Bypass) as project Jhns2b, and
    • US 70 (Clayton Bypass) to US 70 Business as project Jhns2a.
    Based on the LRTP, all sections should be open to traffic by 2035.

Amelia Church Road (SR 1552), Local ID JOHN0024-H Amelia Church Road (SR 1552) from Shotwell Road (SR 1553) to NC 42 is projected to exceed Level of Service (LOS) D by 2035. Improvements are needed in order to relieve anticipated congestion and to maintain a minimum LOS D on the existing facility. Amelia Church Road (SR 1552) is currently a 2-lane, 24-foot cross section. The CTP project proposal is to provide a 4-lane divided cross section for this facility.

Barber Mill Road Extension, Local ID JOHN0054-H Cleveland Road (SR 1010) experiences daily congestion around Grill Road (SR 1512), Barber Mill Road (SR 1555), and Polenta Road (SR 1330). This is due to turning movements destined for the high school on Polenta Road (SR 1330), combined with the daily traffic using Cleveland Road (SR 1010) as a route to Wake County. In this area, Cleveland Road (SR 1010) is currently a 2-lane, 24-foot cross section. This area of the county is also projected to have high growth, both in residences and school size. The CTP project proposal is to provide a 2-lane new location facility to connect Cleveland Road (SR 1010) to Monroe Road (SR 1513). Combining this project proposal with improvements to Cleveland Road (SR 1010) (JOHN 0031-H) will help to alleviate traffic on Cleveland Road (SR 1010), especially users destined for the school.

Clayton Northern Connector, Local ID JOHN0056-H US 70 Business and W. Main Street (SR 1004) in Clayton are both projected to exceed Level of Service (LOS) D by 2035. Improvements are needed in order to relieve anticipated congestion and to maintain a minimum LOS D on the existing facilities. However, improvements are focused on alternative routes in order to maintain the existing cross sections for US 70 Business, which already experiences daily congestion in the peak hours, and W. Main Street (SR 1004). The CTP project proposal is to provide a 4-lane divided new location facility to connect Covered Bridge Road (SR 1700) to NC 42. This project is reflected in the 2008 Town of Clayton Strategic Growth Plan, and it will serve the town by providing better connectivity between north and east Clayton, thereby helping to alleviate traffic on US 70 Business and W. Main Street (SR 1004). According to that plan, this project will be critical within 10 years due to residential growth in northeast Clayton.

Clayton Southern Connector, Local ID JOHN0057-H US 70 Business in Clayton is projected to exceed Level of Service (LOS) D by 2035. Improvements are needed in order to relieve anticipated congestion and to maintain a minimum LOS D on the existing facility. However, improvements are focused on alternative routes in order to maintain the existing cross section for US 70 Business, which already experiences daily congestion in the peak hours. The CTP project proposal is to provide a 4-lane divided facility (partly on new location, partly upgrading existing facilities) to connect Guy Road (SR 1551) to US 70 Business. The project will be mostly on new location, including a realignment of Guy Road (SR 1551), but will include upgrading a section of existing Dairy Road (SR 1583). This project is reflected in the 2008 Town of Clayton Strategic Growth Plan, and it will serve the town by providing better connectivity between west and southeast Clayton, thereby helping to alleviate traffic on US 70 Business.

Cleveland Road (SR 1010), Local ID JOHN0031-H Cleveland Road (SR 1010) from Barber Mill Road (SR 1555) to Wake County is projected to exceed Level of Service (LOS) D by 2035. Improvements are needed in order to relieve anticipated congestion and to maintain a minimum LOS D on the existing facility. Cleveland Road (SR 1010) is currently a 2-3 lane, 24-36 foot cross section. The CTP project proposal is to provide a 4-lane divided cross section for this facility

Cornwallis Road (SR 1525), Local ID JOHN0032-H Cornwallis Road (SR 1525) from Old Drug Store Road (SR 1524) to Wake County is in an area of high growth. Although this road is not quite projected to exceed Level of Service (LOS) D by 2035, sections are projected to be near LOS D. Surrounding roads in the area are projected for high growth, and therefore upgrades to those surrounding facilities are being proposed. Cornwallis Road (SR 1525) is currently a 2-3 lane, 20-36 foot cross section. In the interest of consistency for the area, the CTP project proposal is to provide a 4- lane divided cross section for this facility. In relation to this project, also see project JOHN0005-H for the proposed interchange on I-40 at Cornwallis Road (SR 1525).

Old Drug Store Road (SR 1524) (NC 50 to Cornwallis Road), Local ID JOHN0042-H Old Drug Store Road (SR 1524) from NC 50 to Cornwallis Road (SR 1525) is projected to exceed Level of Service (LOS) D by 2035. Improvements are needed in order to relieve anticipated congestion and to maintain a minimum LOS D on the existing facility. Old Drug Store Road (SR 1524) is currently a 2- lane, 22-foot cross section. The CTP project proposal is to provide a 4-lane divided cross section for this facility.

Cornwallis Road (SR 1525) Realignment, Local ID JOHN0062-H The CTP project proposal is to realign Cornwallis Road (SR 1525) at the intersection with Old Drug Store Road (SR 1524) to make Cornwallis Road (SR 1525) the continuous route. This will provide route continuity, as Cornwallis Road (SR 1525) is the major facility in this case.

White Oak Road – Guy Road Connector, Local ID JOHN0069-H Guy Road (SR 1551) from Wake County to the proposed Clayton Southern Connector is projected to exceed Level of Service (LOS) D by 2035. Improvements are needed in order to relieve anticipated congestion and to maintain a minimum LOS D on the existing facility. Guy Road (SR 1551) is currently a 2-3 lane, 24-36 foot cross section. The CTP project proposal is to provide a new location facility that connects White Oak Road (in Wake County) to Guy Road (SR 1551). The cross section will most likely be 2 lanes in the short term, but possibly with right-of-way acquisition for a 4-lane divided cross section at buildout. This improvement will provide an alternate route to Guy Road (SR 1551) into Wake County, thereby helping to further alleviate congestion on Guy Road (SR 1551), in addition to the Guy Road (SR 1551) improvement project (JOHN0036-H). Ultimately, this could also help to alleviate congestion at the interchange on I-40 at US 70 Business.

If you want to read the full 245 pages - https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/TPBCTP/Johnston County/Johnston County CTP_revised 9-14-15.pdf

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    HidesinOBX likes this.
  19. jesse82nc

HidesinOBX, certdude and Rockyv58 like this.
  20. Rockyv58