Bradford Pear Tree Leaves In Cleveland Area?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Keech, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Keech

Keech Member

What is going on. All of the Bradford Pear Trees have leaf damage. Some research indicate it might be a fire leaf condition caused by to much moisture or plantings to close. Check the trees in your area and notice the problem. If anyone knows anyone in county, state government or environmentalist please alert them. This could be fatal to damaged trees.

2. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

Yup several of the trees in my yard have fire blight. Its cause by a bacteria. If real bad need to prune damaged branches. If you prune you need to be careful cause sap on shears will spread bacteria to other branches. Arborist types will clean pruning shears between every cut. Burn the branches you cut.

3. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I had somebody tell me it was damage due to the late frost we got this Spring. I have one in my yard and there are quite a few black/dead leaves. I have noticed the same thing in other people's yards.

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I also think it's because of the late frost. Ours went black immediately following it, as did some of my other plants.

5. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Frost kills leaves immediately. Fire blight kills leaves on the whole infected branch. Kind of here and there around the tree. Prune out dead and dying limbs. Dip your pruner or saw in Clorox After each cut so you don't spread the disease. Burn the limbs / leaves.

6. JenniferK

They were dead, at least mine were, immediately, black. It was on my hydrangea and some of my amaryllis. On those, I cut off the black leaves and new growth has started.

7. cynadon

hydrangeas and amaryllis don't like frost. they got burned by the frost. If you read a little, we are talking about bradford pear trees.

8. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Alot of the trees in my neighborhood have this same thing going on, would fire blight be a widespread problem all of a sudden like that? I had never heard of it so I also thought it was the late frost, just want to make sure I take care of my trees if they need attention, thanks.

9. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I don't really get how you trim them, I mean my pear tree is like 35-40 feet tall. Even with the largest a-frame I have I don't think I would be able to reach half the tree.

markfnc likes this.
  11. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Usually,about every few years, hurricane season trims them .

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  12. cynadon

I cut a Chinese chestnut yesterday, from the boom of a a mack crane. It can be done

Romeo likes this.
  13. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

yes the lifespan of them are affected by the softness and known splitting of them in ice and heavy winds.

14. Darnell Batton

Darnell Batton New Member

I am in louisburg. Have 30 twenty year old Bradford Pears that have this fire blight or burned from late frost. Planning to have removed tomorrow because in either case appears based on age of tree or blight, not to promising that future will have trees as beautiful as before. Have a friend telling me it's crazy to take them down
    Because it's only the late freeze this year. Anyone suggest I leave them? This is third year they seem to be going backwards. Now half green half black. Thanks

15. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

They sound like they may be reaching the end of their lifespan.

http://www.gardenguides.com/101081-bradford-pear-lifespan.html

Lifespan
    It is advised that every 15 years, the Bradford tree be removed and a new specimen planted in its place. As the tree ages, it becomes brittle and major branches begin to break away. The tree can live from 20 to 30 years before inevitable death, but it begins to look scraggly and unkempt if not removed earlier.

16. JenniferK

Yes I understand that. I was illustrating that the frost affected both my low lying plants and my Bradford pears.