I540 construction to be sped up

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by certdude, Feb 14, 2017.

1. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I know about turning hey 70 into interstate 70. But can someone remind me about interstate 42

3. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

70 is going to be I-42 (signs are already posted on 70 as Future I-42), not I-70. Then there will be two 40/42 interchanges, and a 42/42 interchange.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    panthersdude2001 and certdude like this.
  4. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

5 years for the start of 540 to 70 BYPASS/I-42 and 10 years from 70 BYPASS/I-42 to NC64? Not sure how this is fast tracking anything...

jesse82nc, certdude and Rockyv58 like this.
  5. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't believe we need to pop the Champagne cork just yet.

Michael smith likes this.
  6. Michael smith

Michael smith Active Member

I believe it when I see it!

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

It takes a long time to build a road like that, fast-tracked or not. Look back and see how long it took for them to build the 70 bypass.

Michael smith and Sherry A. like this.
  8. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Michael smith and lgb0250 like this.
  9. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

11. jesse82nc

Even so, we are talking about 1422 miles vs less than 20 miles. Surely if you can built 1422 miles of real usable highway in 30 years or so, we can built 20 miles in a year or two.
    It's the red tape in the US these days that delays everything.
    https://machakosnewsonline.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-fastest-built-highway-ever-in-africa/

http://www.treehugger.com/infrastru...re-quickly-and-efficiently-learn-chinese.html

12. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Rockyv58 likes this.
  13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

That and construction standards. The Alaskan highway was an impressive feat, to be sure. However, it isn't apples to apples at all. I don't think anyone was traveling 80mph on that road, nor did it require as many interchanges, had zero utility crossings that needed to be re-rerouted, etc. Yes, there is more red-tape these days, but most of that is pretty darn necessary.

14. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

Once it was approved it was a little over a year.. So what's your point?

jesse82nc likes this.
  15. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Actual Construction was very fast. the main contractor subbed out 2 or 3 sections, they did the bridges concrete parts themselves.

16. jesse82nc

70 was about 9-10 miles total with 4 interchanges. This section of 540 is about 17-18 miles with 9 interchanges. At least double the size of a project.

But I agree, it should take no more than 2-3 years to build the road once started, the delays so far are all about paperwork and money.

17. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Uhhh...I guess my point is we are not just talking about construction here. The I-540 hasn't even had it's final environmental impact study finished/submitted. In fact, despite years or property acquisition I am not sure they have that all tied up yet. They'll have to let the project out for bids. Point is...these things take a while, fast tracked or not.

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yes, I also recall an extensive drought during that period and the contractor being waaaaaay ahead of schedule because of the good weather (good weather for construction anyway).

19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Lol.

20. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

when it is a new road like 540 it goes much faster than adding lanes, where you have to add temp lanes etc.
    access roads are going in, surveying etc. already.