Anyone work on portable air compressors?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rickatom, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Rickatom

Rickatom Well-Known Member

I have an air compressor that stopped pumping air, and I bought new parts. I cant get it to work properly. Noone seems to service the Lowes Kobalt in our area.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Is it oil or oilless based. Oil based might be done by a small engine repair since it is piston/ring system, but oilless is more difficult.

We discovered with the very high end small oilless compressors, Gast, that it was not even feasible to get them rebuilt to the point of working as opposed to buying a new one. We try to keep a lower end compressor on hand as a back up in emergencies, but even that does not work well, but they were not not Kobalt. We have rebuilt many types of vacuum pumps but not any oilless compressors that worked as they should.

3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

buy a new one. little compressors like that are basically disposable. parts and labor exceed the price unless you know what your doing. dont overheat the next one. buy one bigger than you think you need.

4. Rickatom

5. Rickatom

It is oil less. I have New parts, ie , new electric motor and pump and load switch. I cant get more than 50psi.

6. Wayne Stollings

We saw something similar with our rebuilds. The rebuild kits were a few hundred dollars, and supposedly had everything needed to rebuild a compressor, but we could never get any of them to reach an operable pressure. We did rebuild a couple of oil compressors that we used for non-critical applications and they all worked like new, but we failed at something like 4 out of 4 oilless compressor rebuilds. The guy I had doing it built, rebuilt, and tested turbochargers and with anything other than oilless compressors he was able to get them just like new.

We did try a cheaper version, which was the upper end that Lowes and Home Depot carried. They replaced it within 90 days and some of the replacements did not even last that long before failing. We went through 4 or 5 from each vendor in about 7-8 months before we returned to the single expensive compressor instead of multiple cheaper ones.

7. Rickatom

8. Rickatom

The motor pump assy are one piece. I unhooked the old and installed the new. Runs, but no pressure. Not sure if it is something i did or not doing. Seemed eady enough to assemble, a hose and wire up to switch

9. Wayne Stollings

Yes, one would think that should be the case. Where did you get the replacement parts? Could it have been rebuilt? Or it could be a defective new one? I have heard of some who just died straight out of the box.

10. Rickatom

It came from kobalts manufacturer supplier in illinois

11. Wayne Stollings

I would contact them and explain that the repair parts were not working and see what they say. If it was a drop in replacement there has to be some defect with it our some weird thing you have to do, but my money is no the defect given our experience.

12. Rickatom

13. Rickatom

I took apart the old pump head. 1 of the metal 3 finger flapper was broken. And orange gasket was shrunk. It was rusty inside too.
    My new one, I ran today and notice an air leak I had not seen. Coming from pump into braided tube, i guess its rubber inside the threaded insert. It must have gotten to hot and melted allowing air to bypass. Maybe my pressure problem. Ordered a new one today and a check valve, part of the spring was broken inside.

14. Wayne Stollings

Two of the new compressors we had to fail developed a leak in the seal between the metal line between the compressor and the tank, which allowed the metal tube to com out. Both times it was over a weekend and the compressor ran until it died trying to pressurize the room.

15. Rickatom

I might be onto something. If it works, i will still be ahead of the game financially.
    Lowes doesnt carry this model anymore. With parts ive bought, less than 40.00 so far. Deff cheaper than a new one. Fingers crossed. If not, im junking it.

16. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

cheap compressors run like 2 strokes. check the reed valve, they only close in one direction. broke, cracked, or sucked stuck

17. Rickatom

Reed valve on old head was rusty and one broken. New one looks good ftom what ai can tell.

cynadon likes this.
  18. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

One of the many things I'm going to miss when Sears takes its final lap around the drain is the parts system. I had an oilless compressor bought in the early 90's that wore out the piston ring and sleeve. I looked up the part numbers and $40 and a week later I was back in business.