Diverging diamond for 40/42 exit

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by certdude, Sep 14, 2017.

1. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

Cornwallis Road would be better because it will split the congestion. Cleveland Road is just moving the congestion up the street.

certdude and Rockyv58 like this.
  2. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

It would have been nice if they had put Cleveland Road Interchange on the card about the meeting but they didn't. Because they didn't want a lot of people to show up at the meeting. And that is why they had the meeting in Wake County!

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

When I went to the public hearing at West View Elementary school they even showed a diverging diamond at Cornwallis. I think in this thread someone said they are eventually going to put an exit/entrance there.

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

They had it in Wake county because there was nowhere to hold it in JoCo. Schools are in, Cleveland school gym is being used for GCAA basketball. I suppose they could have tried C3 church. Besides, just as many people in Garner are going to be affected by the project. It is a widening between exit 301 and 312 as well. There is no conspiracy behind where they had the meeting. Remember...NCDOT trying to FIX a problem created by us, and JoCo leadership. Lets be thankful they are addressing the issue at all.

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Ya think maybe they are not going to say they are putting in a diverging diamond on Cornwallis until they totally build it up with houses as they are doing now??? Who would buy a house knowing something major may be going there and they could lose their house....... I should say people behind the scenes just know what they are doing....But the exit is better at Cornwallis like bornjoco said....

6. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

It is a matter of personal preference I guess. I am guessing you or someone you care about is being affected negatively by the construction at cleveland rd, sorry for that. Would building it at cornwallis affect less people? I ask because I don't know.

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

That is the thing........... there is No easy answer to all of this............it just has to be done, and then people will have to adjust from there........And No, I don't know anyone personally, but I do feel sorry for those affected by it all :(

8. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

There are just as many churches in Johnston County as there is in Wake County, that is just an excuse. I want to see it get better not worse. DOT does not know what is better for our community and they don't care. We do! It all boils down to the mighty dollar, and it is to benefit someone by not going on Cornwallis Road!

9. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

I have to agree with bornjoco, Theres no reason they couldnt have had a 2nd one in Joco/4042 area at a school different day at same time or later. Schools are out by 4pm. Plenty of churches. Yes it affects both Garner and Cleveland, all the more reason to have 2 meetings.

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

The meeting was 12 minutes away from 40/42 which is about the southernmost part of the project. It was 9 minutes away from 40/440, the northernmost part of the project. If everyone here is going to complain about driving 12-15 minutes to a meeting, then you don't really care about it.

As for an exit at I40 and Cornwallis, there's already going to be an exit at Cornwallis and 540 just 1 mile east of I40. They would not put two major intersections within 1 mile of eachother on new construction. The 40/42 and 40/Cleveland intersections are essentially being branded as one intersection. I wouldn't be surprised if it just becomes an A and B.

tassy, poppin cork and lgb0250 like this.
  11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Perhaps they could have tried harder. However, I believe they did have a public meeting a couple years ago when all of this started as well. This is when the option to have an interchange at either Cleveland Rd or Cornwallis was originally discussed. I guess the people who build highways for a living decided that is Cleveland Rd. is there better option, although I didn't think to ask why at the meeting I went to.

I will also say that, yes, school is out by 4:00, but in Westview's case they have prior commitments to GCAA soccer as well as after school programs don't they? Not that many churches in JoCo with a gym the size needed. Who says NCDOT didn't try C3 and they declined?

All I am saying is give a little slack to NCDOT. It's an impossible position to be in.

poppin cork and lgb0250 like this.
  12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

This.

poppin cork and lgb0250 like this.
  13. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

There you and jesse go again, talking common sense! How dare you. We may have to banish you both to Cary!!! LOL.

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Has the DOT already posted a pdf for the 540 route on the east side? I am curious to where 540 exit to Cornwallis would be

15. jesse82nc

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Here is the official DOT page with the preferred alternative. https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/complete540/ The Cornwallis exit would be about where the Pond Mgt company is near Raynor Rd. intersection. Not to mention a very large 70 Bypass & I-40 intersection with 540.

17. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

That is not a mile apart. Interchange for I40 off Cornwallis would be on the other side near Old Drug Store Road. And an interchange for Cleveland Road is too close to 42. It would also cost the state a lot less to put it at Cornwallis because there is less stuff to buy.

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Did you go to the meeting? Did you ask why the NCDOT decided to go with Cleveland Rd. instead of Cornwallis? Both of these options were put on the table back in 2014 when they had public meetings then. The Project Manager is Bob Deaton. I am sure he can give a reason why. Financial? Engineering obstacles? Environmental? There isn't much use discussing this unless you know their reason.

19. jesse82nc

Sorry, you are correct, it is 1.10 Miles.
    upload_2017-10-17_15-0-5.png

20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Jesse,

That is not the intersection of Cornwalis Rd. that was proposed. It was south/east past exit 312. A lot of people do not know this, but Cornwallis actually crosses I-40 twice. So this is the alternative being discussed:
    upload_2017-10-17_16-19-6.png