Parks and Rec

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I counted 27th, but I didn't have time to double check. I will point out that many of those other counties also have fire district or other special tax districts ad without looking at those individually you would have no idea where that would put our rate in the overall scheme of things. For arguments sake and all things being equal you can assume each of those counties have similar fire district tax rates so it wouldn't jump Johnston to the top of the list.

I agree about incorporation, but that is a much bigger bite to take and would find much more opposition. Rock and a hard place I guess. No one wants to incorporate, but when faced with a parks and rec proposition only then the does the argument become, "why not just incorporate?".

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Tied for 27th with Halifax County

3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I think the park will pass easily. Incorporation will be more difficult. We still have a lot of farm, pasture, timber, and wetlands that people aren't eager to pay for.

poppin cork and Rockyv58 like this.
  4. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

Just putting my 2 cents worth out there. If I live long enough I can only hope that this is something that the entire community can enjoy instead of just a few that only want a bunch of soccer and baseball fields.

Auxie likes this.
  5. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Johnston County does not have any influence on road improvements. That falls on NC DOT. This is the largest complaint that I hear at the Planning Board meetings and frankly, folks are barking up the wrong tree. The County has ZERO influence in this matter. Schools on the other hand...

cynadon likes this.
  6. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I have been here almost 30 years... been thru a lot of layoffs and struggling to stay even, AND I DO NOT DO ANY OF THE THINGS YOU HAVE LISTED.!!!
    And so who are you to say how much people earn and should spend??? It has absolutely nothing to do with Government!!! It has to do with the money I earn and the bills I have to pay!!! I am for the Park but NOT for the money.... So since you seem to have a lot of extra money, maybe you can put some extra in for the ones who can't pay!!! PS.. I only get my haircut once a year too!!! So I am happy you are happy to have a park, BUT do NOT knock those who do not want to pay for the park!!

Auxie and cynadon like this.
  7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The proposed park plan also have pickle ball, tennis courts, basketball courts, a dog park, walking trails, a playground, ponds (storm water retention, but ponds nonetheless) and an aquatics center. This is just a proposed plan and is probably more of a "throw it all out there" sort of thing to show what is possible. One thing I did not see what much shelter space, amphitheater, or other general meeting space.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I am sorry for your struggles. Hopefully things turn around for you. Getting laid off sucks, I've been there twice myself. I have tried to bring a reasonable argument to the table, but one thing I cannot get past is this statement of yours:

Are you suggesting other people pay for it, but not you? Are there any government services I can choose not to pay for? I am appreciative of your recognition of the need for the park and your support of it, just not sure how you reconcile this with not wanting to pay for it. Honestly, I am not 'knocking' anyone for their position and/or financial constraints and I understand $6.67 is money some may not be able to part with. I was just adding some data to the argument for put keeping some perspective.

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Okay, question.... If I have to pay... and an aquatics opens up, is there a fee for all the services for the pool.... or anyone can use the pool at anytime for FREE......... And, if there is a charge, do the McLemore Fire District houses who are funding this whole thing have to pay for any of the services offered in these parks??? (or will we have a card that entitles us to everything for FREE???) And yes, I did not see much picnic tables ....... And so if there is only one picnic table and a outsider is using it, can a tax payer kick them off if they want to use it? Maybe some of the lottery sales can go for it instead of always to the schools??

Auxie and cynadon like this.
  10. cynadon

what about other people that have more than an acre and a house???

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Well,,, if you have that much... you have that much more to give... I guess.

12. cynadon

thats what I thought. give till it hurts

13. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Yup, we wouldn’t want our children to get the facilities and equipment they think they need, would we? Brilliant comment, simply brilliant.

14. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Lottery sales are restricted by the state to go to schools. Not the county. Theres been many attempts to redo that and it always ends in court and always loses. Its not gonna change.

15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I have tried to understand your plight, but I think you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of the entire concept here. I suggest if you have such questions you address them with representatives at the meetings.

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Based on value of the property. Fairest application of any tax I can think of, besides a sales tax.

17. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

A County Sales Tax would make more people buy items in a different County, and then JoCo would actually loose money!

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Well said.

19. cynadon

the park will pass with overwhelming support. One sh@t at the time

20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Another meeting tonight at Cleveland FD 7-9 pm.