NC DOT Picks Orange Route for NC 540

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Feb 3, 2016.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Contracts will be in place by Nov this year for phase 1. Start construction soon after.

2. todill

todill Member

certdude, Rockyv58 and markfnc like this.
  3. markfnc

Contractor selection from short list will be Nov. 4.

certdude likes this.
  4. markfnc

They have started. Driving home last night on Sunset Lake Rd (Holly Springs area), they have cut in access roads, and doing test bores etc. where 540 will cross. Access rd. has cleared trees and placed stone.

Rockyv58, Auxie and certdude like this.
  5. markfnc

From TBJ

The N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded the first of three contracts for the Complete 540 project.

On Tuesday, NCDOT said Charlotte-based Lane Blythe Construction Joint Venture will receive $403 million. Specifically, Lane Blythe will work on the section that extends the Triangle Expressway from U.S. 401 to Interstate 40. Construction is anticipated to begin in 2019.

In June, a North Carolina Turnpike Authority executive anticipated that about $1.2 billion in design-build grants will be up for grabs for the 16-mile stretch between N.C. 55 and I-40.

The $2.2 billion Complete 540 project will close the 540 loop surrounding the Raleigh area from just south of Apex to Knightdale – just east of the City of Oaks. NCDOT plans to complete the project in 2023.

Rockyv58 and jesse82nc like this.
  6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I'll eat my own shorts if this happens by 2023.

Rockyv58 and poppin cork like this.
  7. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Agree. But, thought it was funny that right after reading this yesterday morning I noticed a survey crew right in the area of where the White Oak Rd exit is scheduled to be.

Auxie likes this.
  8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Now if they originally put tolls on the northern section when it was built they would’ve had plenty of money to of finished the whole thing by now, instead of tolls on the desolate western part.

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

approximately where on White Oak were they?

10. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Up in the neighborhood of the pond mgmt company

11. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Here's a really good view of that intersection. The black is the actual road edges and the red is the right of way. Let me know if anyone wants one of these views for the other intersections. I can probably get all of them done like this with enough time.

White Oak 540.JPG

12. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

I wonder why the new long access road on the NE side of that... Theres nothing there now. The NW road makes sense since they are cutting the intersection anew.

13. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

When they cut access to a property they either have to pay the economic value lost, buy the property, or provide new access whichever turns out to be the most economical and easiest to get approved. The current access road is being cut and with the restrictions on how a new access can be connected the result is the long driveway to replace the cut drive.

14. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Here's a couple of the larger intersections in our area:

I40/US70/NC540
    40 70 540.JPG

70 Business/NC540
    70 bus 540.JPG

Benson Road/NC540
    Benson Road 540.JPG

US401/NC540
    401 540.JPG

Smithers likes this.
  15. Rockyv58

16. markfnc

computer simulation of entire route

17. markfnc

Auxie likes this.
  18. markfnc

The Construction office complex has been installed at NC 50 where it will cross.
    I know an engineering firm that has been issued a contract and started work on the NC55 to US401 section. Also know the clearing company that was awarded the US401/I 40 section. They are starting May 1.

19. Rockyv58

I am curious what they are doing at White Oak that goes over I-40. Looks like a new Bridge? Are they going to be replacing the existing road there?

20. markfnc

Part of I 40 widening , I think.