Johnston County Animal Control Strike Again!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by Anonymous, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

Habitat for Niko

Instead of using this forum for updates about Habitat for Niko, would it be possible to create a webpage? I see this forum is not longer about helping the issue at hand. It seems to have turned into bashing one another. What a travesty.

2. Anonymous

OMG, how blinded do you have to be?!? Yes, obviously at one point he was confined, however, he ceased to be confined upon jumping over the containment area and leaving the boundaries of his own yard. How hard is that to understand?

On to #2, the owners knew he was capable of this and have admitted as much. When did they finally choose to address the problem? After, mark that in big green caps, AFTER he attacked. How stinking responsible are you to know what could happen and ignore it until it does? That friends, is not responsible pet ownership or a responsible person in general. Sugarcoat this with the dogs' history and make it a freak event all you want, it does not take away from the fact that it happened.

#3 How do we prevent this from happening? By making people accountable, Niko's owner has assumed no accountability in this entire matter, and by that I mean consequences. What happened at the pound was an entirely seperate matter so that does not count. At what point and time does someone reflect and say, "Hey, what if it had been a kid, what then?" The owner needs to be treated like anyone else and for sure if Joe Blow in his trailer on the outskirts of Four Oaks had one of his "gentle pit bulls that was nothing but a sweetie up until then" attack the next door neighbor, we'd be all over him. What is the difference here that Niko's owner gets off completely free just because he attacked someone/something that liked him?

3. Anonymous

AHH... life is full of what ifs...

Yes, I think the time is drawing near to start a new thread. I know the guests full of sunshine and roses will follow. Wednesday is another day to worry about that. I just wanted to make sure that those who were curious and cared know what went on. Again... I will be happy to email and discuss anything at habitat4niko@yahoo.com

Please check out the adoptable animals from the shelter on the other thread too. Take one home - -take them all home!!!

4. Anonymous

niko

Joy, you are so right, but I think that most of the people in this discussion are positive people, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ONE OR TWO, you know who I mean. I believe Peppercorn will or has a web sight or a link for Habitat for Niko, please go back a few pages, I believe it is there. I, for one, am tired of these couple of crazies who have nothing pertinent to say and just wasting space amd bashing the project and wonderful young CJ. He deserves a medal for what he is doing, when he can just "hang" with his friends or play video games. WAY TO GO CJ.

5. Anonymous

habitat for Niko

HABITAT FOR NIKO - IMPROVEMENT NEEDED AT ANIMAL CONTROL

6. Anonymous

Wow, I go away for a few days and the fun continues.

peterpan wrote:
    There have been plenty of pertinent things said that most on here don't want to acknowledge. This forum has focused on the the accidental gassing of a dog at the animal shelter. Guess what folks ...that is a sad incident but it is not a huge problem. If you think animal control is the main problem then you don't have a clue. Take the blinders off before you head down a path that leads nowhere.

A guest wrote:
    Bingo! Fire everybody at the shelter if that's what needs to be done to prevent accidental gassings ...but letting your dog attack your neighbor should not be a civil matter, it should be a criminal matter. Regardless of what Peppercorn's owners want, Niko's owners should face charges for criminal negligence and should pay a steep fine for endangering the public.

Lee Davis is quoted in the Smithfield Herald as saying "It's straight up incompetence, I don't want this to happen to anyone else, ever again". Here's what I have to say about a german shepherd jumping a four foot fence in a residential subdivision and attacking a neighbor - It's straight up incompetence, I don't want this to happen to anyone else, ever again.

The bottom line is if you're looking for a great crusade to fight, it is not accidental gassings ...it is pet owners who are naive and/or incompetent and/or uneducated and/or ignorant and/or all of the above as well as arrogant and irrational. That is a problem that has stood the test of time in this county.

7. Anonymous

"AHH... life is full of what ifs..."

It's a shame that he didn't rip a gaping hole in your neck so that you could appreciate the plight of those that it has happened to. Perhaps then, you wouldn't be so quick to dissmiss "what if".

You are a sorry condescending person that is so blinded by one mindedness that it makes me sick.

8. Anonymous

Hey everyone! Angie (Bullet Girl) the Animal Control officer is back on with her words of wisdom!!! Where were you Angie, at an Animal Control convention that teaches ya'll to
    "Lets Learn the difference between Terriers and German Shephards, so when we gas, we can gas right" :twisted: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

9. Anonymous

Ok guest .
    The bashing is not what is needed. We all have our own opinion here and that's great. However calling the owner of the dog names that was put down by mistake isn't going to accomplish any thing.
    If you want to see bigger fines for dogs that get out that's great. Instead of typing your complaints here on the board type them to the local government.
    Otherwise we don't care what you think. Also as far as I am concerned "guest " is just trying and succeeding in stirring up trouble. So everyone just ignore the arrogant "guest".
    Thank you and have a good day all

10. Anonymous

HABITAT FOR MISGUIDED EFFORTS

11. Anonymous

Jerk

12. Anonymous

Jerk??? Wow that was way too kind.

I believe a"person" said too bad the dog didn't put a gaping hole in your neck or something like that....I think that person needs to up their medication. No not really. No. What I do think is, that someone or some dog, put a gaping hole in you where your heart used to be.

Anyway, please check back as Habitat for Niko - (those that are serious, anyway) will be moving. A place where there is no hiding.......

13. Anonymous

Peppercorn,
    I suggest before you let anyone join your new group, you have them call you, have them give you your phone number and name before you give out your new place to discuss Habitat For Niko. JMHO

14. Sandy Lewis

Sandy Lewis Well-Known Member

This text has been removed

15. Anonymous

First let me say that I am a dog owner and this is in no way an attack on or defense of either side of this argument.

I have been reading all the posts for what seems like eternity now and I am just amazed at how passionately people feel about whichever side they've chosen. Even though nobody asked, here are my two cents:

There are two SEPARATE things at hand here:

1. Niko was put down.
    Question: "Why?"
    Answer: Because Chad or whomever at the shelter made a mistake.

This seems to be a simple enough answer to the first issue.

2. Niko was at the shelter initially.
    Q: "Why?"
    A: Because Niko's Dad (or Owner depending on which term you prefer) felt it best that Niko be quarantined.
    A: Because Niko attacked a neighbor's puppy.

And therein lies the problem. There is no good answer to this question. Because he's a dog and he felt threatened by the puppy? Maybe. Because he thought the dog wanted to play and playtime got out of hand? Maybe.

The facts of the matter are these: Niko was put down by mistake which was wrong on the part of the human involved. Niko attacked another living thing (doesn't matter what that thing was) which was wrong on the part of the dog involved. Both acts should be punished.

As I said earlier, I have two dogs and love both of them and can't imagine not having them around the house, BUT if they do something wrong they should be punished. In this case, did the punishment fit the crime? Some would say yes, some would say no - mistakenly carried out or not - and nothing anybody says on either side will change anyone on the other side's opinion.

16. Anonymous

Then you should get lots of glowing support. Its like putting your fingers in your ears when you hear something you don't like. Anonymous posting allows people to share their true feelings without the social consequenses that come from offending others. That's what makes the internet so great. If I were sitting across from you, I would never tell you that your neighbors are just irresponsible pet owners who are just as much to blame for their dogs death as the shelter ...or that your feelings of safety while living beside a german shepherd in a four foot high fence just shows your naivety and ignorance. I would think it, but I wouldn't say it. Whether my opinion matters to you or not, at least now you know what I really think.

17. Anonymous

There is no BIG mystery here:
    Because he wasn't properly confined! Remember, we have to deal with HUMANS here! We can't ask dogs for their motives.

18. Anonymous

Not true. Whether or not Niko was confined properly has nothing to do with why he attacked. Dogs that are not confined don't just randomly attack things without a reason, do they?

19. Anonymous

I don't know, I've never been able to get a dog to talk. Which would you put more trust in: that a dog has learned his training well and therefore won't attack, or that the owner has built a good fence and will make sure the dog doesn't get out? Since Niko was not trained to fight, why he attacked is irrelevant in this case. Why he got out, is the issue. Laws ...rules ...common sense ...motives ...responsibility ...these are for matters for humans. To focus on what the dog was thinking and other unknowns is to utterly loose focus.

20. Anonymous

[/quote]I don't know, I've never been able to get a dog to talk. Which would you put more trust in: that a dog has learned his training well and therefore won't attack, or that the owner has built a good fence and will make sure the dog doesn't get out? Since Niko was not trained to fight, why he attacked is irrelevant in this case. Why he got out, is the issue. Laws ...rules ...common sense ...motives ...responsibility ...these are for matters for humans. To focus on what the dog was thinking and other unknowns is to utterly loose focus.[/quote]

I will agree that why the dog was able to attack (i.e. lack of proper confinement) is a related issue and is a matter for people. But at the same should a dog that has never shown any signs of aggression be placed under the same scrutiny as one that has? Using the same rationale, should we keep every living thing (humans included) fenced in and cut-off from everything else just in case something might happen? After all, people are "trained" by their parents.

And a "good fence" doesn't guarantee containment.