Missing dog found far away-want it back?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by peppercorns, Dec 9, 2004.

?

Would you try to get your pet back if it were found so far from home?

1. Yes - as quick as I could.

99.4%
  2. Maybe - if it didn't cost a lot.

0.6%
  3. No - I would not go that far out of my way

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

This story was on the WRAL Web site.

If my dog went missing and was found very far away, I would get that dog back no matter what! This lady just said - "put it up for adoption." What a witch! She really ticked me off.
    I hope her dog finds a more loving home to spend his golden years in.

Do you consider you pet a member of your family or just a commodity to own?
    Just curious....

Here's the article...

Family's Missing Dog Found 1,600 Miles From Home
    Woman Decides Not To Get 11-Year-Old Dog Back

POSTED: 8:54 am EST December 9, 2004

FLOWER MOUND, Texas -- Gail Scott can't understand how her dog Carla ended up in Texas, 1,600 miles from home.

The Washington state woman was shocked when she got a call from a Denton, Texas, veterinary hospital, saying her mixed-breed dog had been found. Carla was identified through an implanted microchip.

Scott, who adopted Carla in 1998 from a Washington pound, believes the dog escaped from her yard the day before Thanksgiving and was picked up by a trucker at a nearby truck stop.

She said it would be too hard to get 11-year-old Carla back to Washington state, so she's asked a The Flower Mound Humane Society in Texas to put her pet up for adoption.

2. peppercorns

Guess I'm the only one would want my pet back...

3. Sandy

Sandy Guest

I think most of us would want our pet back, It would be hard to get a pet back if it was 1600 miles away though.. It's not like you can just jump in your car and go get them.. It'd take you a few days and most can't afford to do that so unless the pet could be shipped or brought back safely and not cost you an arm and a leg i think most would say keep it.. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but that's the reality in it all.. You really have to be in that situation to know what you would really do..

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Sandy, I'd have to agree with you on this one.

Not trying to change the subject, but it kind of goes hand in hand with what Peppercorns posted. You know, the things people will do for their animals. Has anyone had a large vet bill lately? My mom's dog had to go to the after hours clinic because she decided to eat my mom's blood pressure medication, and I was absolutely appauled at the charges on that bill! I thought to myself, well no dang wonder people avoid taking their animals to the vet! It was un-freaking-real.

My mom of course would sell her right kidney for her dogs. Me on the other hand, well I love my animals, but if it's a choice between feeding my kid, and paying a vet bill, well, all I can say is I hope the vet takes payment plans.

5. nativeNC

nativeNC Well-Known Member

yeah no kiddin'. I think they can get away with it because really most animal owners don't know any better. Personally I grew up on a farm, where we took care of our own animals. Now obviously if my dog has a broken leg or something like that then I'll take him/her, but I'll give all my own shots, wormer, all that good stuff. Unless it's a dire emergency I ain't going to the vet.

6. Heynow

Heynow Active Member

Let me preface this by saying it is admirable that you would, if given the choice see to it that your animal received the care that it so justly deserved even it the bill was so large that it required you to make payments. However, things happen to animals out of the blue just as they do with humans that require expensive vet bills to correct and or treat. I personally am not the biggest animal lover however my husband is. Two years ago a mutt that we rescued when he was 3 weeks old developed a condition when his intestines overlapped one another thus requiring a very expensive surgury as well as no guarantees to his recovery or making it thru the surgury. The total cost was to be around $2500. Again, I repeat I am not an animal lover but it wasn't fair or right for me to not allow Toby his chance at life because of my selfishness. I choose to take this dog in, he didn't choose me! I knew before I bought the dog there would be annual vet exams, food, toys, time, and attention that I would have to invest to see to it that this dog lived the life it so justly deserved. So given my responsibility as a pet owner we went ahead with the surgury. Toby has since fully recovered and is actually Purina One's new pet ambassador. He will be featured in print ads as well as their website for one year. We also have received a years worth of food from Purina One. There was and still is no maximum amount of money that would have prevented me from allowing Toby another chance at life. What he has given me and my family back is priceless and we have since adopted two more dogs again, knowing that the unexpected and unforseen events of both humans and animals often come with a hefty price tag. My point to any and all individuals out there who own animals have a right to see to it that your pet receives the level of care that you would want done to a family member. You have a choice to take in an animal or not to but you don't have a choice to decide what type of care it is to receive!

7. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

My dogs are an extended part of my family! No matter how many hours I had to drive, I'd get my babies back!

8. traveler

traveler Well-Known Member

I agree totaly with Southernborn!

OK I am sure I will get blasted - BUT - I would do whatever it took to get one of my babies back. And yes that means driving or flying the 1600 miles or futher to do it. They are a VERY important part of my family!

9. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Guys, don't get me wrong. I love my babies too. I would do whatever was in my power to save/help them.

My only gripe is that the charges for vetrinary medicine are not regulated, and how many people do you know that have "pet vet insurance"?

Here's an example. When my mom's pooch ate her BP pills, she took her in, they made the dog vomit, and then made Mom sign a paper stating that the estimated charges would be between $800-$1000, they made her sign it before they would do anything else for the dog.

I mean, they charged Mom $75 for calling poison control to find out how to treat the animal!

Like I said, I love my animals, but I certainly understand how financial woes can force folks to make decisions about their animals that in a perfect world, they would never have to make.

10. nativeNC

nativeNC Well-Known Member

I love my dogs a lot, and one of them is a hunting dog so there's a little more attachment there but....... you aboslutely do have a CHOICE to decide what type of care the animal is to receive. I'm sorry and I love my dogs but there is a price that I wouldn't pay probably because I couldn't afford it. That's just life. Now don't take this the wrong way and run with it. But I'm not spending an ENORMOUS amount of money on a pet. It's just not gonna happen.

11. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I agree that you can only spend what you can afford to on the pet. I love my dogs alot, but there are situations we can never forsee.

Example: 5 years ago my english bully got really sick from a rare infection (we only had the 1 pet at the time) it ended up costing around $1,500 to save him. I gladly paid that, because I could afford it.

Now that I have two kids, and two dogs, I would pay what I could afford and try to figure a way out to be able to do whatever it took to ensure they received the care they deserve. However, I could not afford to pay $10,000 to save one of their lives.

I only hope I'm never faced with that type of decision to make!

12. Heynow

Heynow Active Member

It is true that vet bills are very high and I can relate given that we have 6 dogs and 3 cats, all rescued and they never go without their yearly shots and whatever medications they need. They have all be fixed and I do my part to see to it that they have the most nutritious food to eat and toys to entertain themselves. There is no doubt about it I have spent some money but I knew with each new adoptee that there was going to be a high price to pay. I don't have any kids so these are my babies. I made a choice to take them in and now everyday I make choices to keep them healthy. For those of you and I can relate to where $ is an option, why not obtain pet insurance? The cost from what I have read is low and it covers yearly appointments as well as heartworm medication which moving out here from Cary is something I don't think this area is educated about what a killer heartworm disease is.

13. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Hey now, watch it! I'm a JC native and I've had my dogs on heartworm prevention for aobut 20 years now (not the same dogs, just all that I've owned in that time frame). Don't stereotype Johnston County residents, please. We may live in the country, but most of us do take care of our pets' basic needs. We might not go to the pet luxury extremes that some Cary folk do, but that doesn't mean we're ignorant when it comes to heartworm, worm and flea/tick prevention either. :)

14. peppercorns

Many people do not know what heart worm is. Some see it as an unfortunate coincidence or accident if their pet gets it. An ounce of prevention in this case is worth a pound of cure. I think they use quinine to treat heart worm. It has to be administered just right. Enough poison to kill the worms but not the dog. Pretty chancy. All four of my dogs get heartworm protection. And isn't protection always a good thing... :lol:

My dogs are a big part of my family. I would go to the ends of the Earth for them. I am always afraid that there willl be something really wrong with one of them and I will not be able to afford it. Pet insurance can be pricey also.

15. traveler

traveler Well-Known Member

Exactly Ready2cmyking!!! HeyNow Watch it! Don't sterotype JC. Many of us are VERY responsible pet owners. I am sure that Cary has its own ignorant population!

Anyway, I too have recently lost a beloved pet. Unfortunately I had to chose an amount that I knew I could afford to spend on trying to help cure the cancer - $2500.00. What I couldn't afford was the chemo (up to $5000.00 +) - especially not knowing that it would guarantee him a longer better life. This was an obvious choice. But I can't say what I would have spent had I known the outcome would have been different.

Fortunately, I was able to allow him to live out the rest of his life (not in pain) as happy as he could be at home with his mommy until he died in my arms. :cry:

16. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

:shock:

17. Heynow

Heynow Active Member

I am not stereotyping JC at all! Cary definatly has its fair share of idiots that is for sure. That and the fact that I married my husband who is from here is why I moved here. Too many newcomers moving to Cary "trying" to fit in is what tickled me so much. It is definatly a different way of life no doubt about it but I am happy here and am pleased to call it home. Anyway, the majority of individuals out here whom I have had the pleasure meeting aren't educated about heartworm disease or what exactly causes it. They know about rabies but the vast majority don't realize that it is easier for your animal to get heartworm disease then it is rabies under normal conditions. Just from my observation, many animals live outside here in sometimes not so favorable conditions ie. small pens, no shelter, and no cover but that is also the case anywhere else as well and I know this but my point is with them spending almost the majority of their lives outside their chances are greatly increased in contracting heartworm disease. It isn't a Cary thing it is a love for animals thing!

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I would travel to the end of the world for my babies! No questions asked and no amt of money would keep me from getting them back! Sorry I am late to the topic, been busy.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

See, this is where it makes sense to have a bird. If it loves you it will come back, if not hawk food! :?

20. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

This topic could go two ways for me. Since I was 23, I've have 2 dogs, and I would go to the dirtiest parts of Central America to pick them up. However, growing up, all we had at our house were cats. Looking back on it, I wouldn't even go to my neighbors to pick one of them up. Plus, they make me itch. :evil: &*%& cats!!