Pet Insurance

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by le, Feb 28, 2005.

1. le

le Well-Known Member

Anyone have this or look into it?
    I was reading about it at petinsurance.com.
    Have a good friend that has it and swears by it but I am not so sure it does not sound like BIG scam!?!
    Just curious to hear other pet parents reactions...

2. wolfcub

wolfcub Well-Known Member

I looked into it and it "may" have helped me a couple years ago but I think the only real effect is if there is something major that occurs.

Our Greyhound apparently ingested some sort of poision at an apartment complex we were living in while our home was being built. The long and short of it is that she wound up gong into the NC State Vet ICU and cost about $4,000 by the time it was all said and done.

Pet insurance would have been heloful in this case. Th problem with it is you pay on the policy and never know if anything major like that will ever happen. If not, then you paid a lot of money for nothing...Kind of like Health insurance LOL

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I actually carried it for a year, but realized that it truly wouldn't have been a big help anyway. I have started putting the premium money I was paying into a separate account. I feel the money is doing more good that way. With pet insurance, you have to pay the bill up front and send in for partial reinbursement (at least teh company I went through).

4. Right2Be

Right2Be Well-Known Member

I worked as a vet tech for a few years.. and in the long run from what I have seen.. it is cheaper in the long run to just pay out right.. pet insurance lets you have one normal check up and one emeregency visit a year.. if you have more than one emergency then you are screwed basically... so I wouldn't get pet insurance..

Andrea

5. le

le Well-Known Member

I appreciate the replies.
    Talked myself out of it - thanks for the help & opinions.