0 ohm resistor

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Hught, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I thought this was interesting, especially the comments

0 ohm resistor

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I heard Duke Energy was coming out with 0 ohm transmission lines and that's why they fired the Progress Energy CEO.

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Back in the day, when I was a solder-monkey, I do remember seeing 0 ohm resisters. I never did understand why they existed, though.

On the other hand, because everything has *some* resistence, even silver wire, there cannot be (technically speaking) such a thing as a zero ohm resister.

4. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I don't get it.

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

<Big ol' Al Gore sigh!>
    Resistence is measured in "ohms". To say something has "zero ohms" resistence is to say that there is no resistence, that the component is the same as straight wire. Indeed, a zero ohm resister and a wire jumper are effectively the same thing.

A "zero ohm" resister is something of an oxymoron.

6. ServerSnapper

lol I know that!! Ohm's law I=V/R.

Why have a resister that isn't resisting? Sorry for not expanding.

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

So, if you have V=+5 and R=0, what's the current? ;)

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

We started seeing surface mount zero ohm resistors back in the 90's when I was a board level troubleshooter.
    More than anything they acted like a fuse to protect the board and the more critical components in the curcuit. Also, manufacturers used the same boards for different models. So while a model with more features might have a resistor with value in those locations, the lower end models would have a zero ohm resistor to complete the circuit. It was cheaper than making two boards.

9. ServerSnapper

How would the resister blow? Sorry I get it but just don't understand the logic behind it.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

The same way a fuse blows. If something downstream is drawing too much current, the resistor will open, which saves the runs on the board and more critical components from burning.

They are also used as a jumper or a bridge in two sided or multi-layer boards as a way to bypass the board pass thru.

11. ServerSnapper

ok...

12. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I ran that black 1 band color code through the online color code calculator I use. It doesn't exist. :lol::jester::lol:

I noticed that bag in the pic didn't show watts? Get out the MM ruler!! Even then, some manufacturers don't adhere strictly to the body length rule. When are they going to put a watt designator on small resistors!!

Size matters!!:lol: