10 Digit Dialing

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gcoats3, Mar 9, 2012.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

10 digit dialing effective in 919 area code on March 31. Not a big deal for cell phone users but land line customers will have to make adjustments. Imagine all those saved numbers on land lines that will have to be updated. Actually it is my understanding that you can use the 10 digit dialing now with land lines. You do not have to wait until March 31.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/07/1912054/ten-digit-dialing-begins-march.html

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I don't know about anyone else, but I have alot more saved #'s on my cell phone, I don't have any saved #'s on my landline. I'm probably going to have to add 919 to atleast 60 contacts in the cell phone.

3. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I have magic jack....I am not affected.

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

we dumped landline years ago.

5. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I dont really understand why you would have to dial the same area code you are in...why wouldn't you just dial the new area code if that is what you are calling? Just doesn't make sense to me...

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Because the new zip code is an "overlay" and there is a possibility that your 7 digit # may be issued to someone else in this area with the new zip code.

Though I can't imagine with so many people dumping landlines for cell-phones that they are running out of numbers, but they say they are.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  7. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

they are running out cause there used to be one number for each house and now if you are a family of 6 there are 6 phones. ill stick with my landline, it is cheaper and phone is easier to grip, i have cts.some of the ear phone things hurt my ears. they had 10 digit dialing in florida and most people i call are out of state so it wont bother me