11 Sounds That Your Kids Have Probably Never Heard

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

For those of you who want to feel a little nostalgic...

Here's the list, but the ARTICLE has audio examples.

1. Rotary Dial Telephone
    2. Manual Typewriter
    3. Coffee Percolator
    4. Flash Cube
    5. TV Channel Selector
    6. Record Changer
    7. Gas Station Driveway Bell
    8. TV Station Sign-Off
    9. Cash Register
    10. Film Projector **
    11. Broken Record

** I disagree with the Film Projector sound. When I go to the movies, the sound is played during the theater advertisements ("Welcome to Regal Cinemas"). I believe it's also heard on TWC's Movie Trailers on Demand channel.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Here is a thank god! one

Nails on a chalk board

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Yeah, nails on a white board just doesn't have the same effect. :)

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My son heard his first busy signal not too long ago. It was hilarious, he thought his phone was broken.

Ahh........the days before call waiting and automatic voice mail.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

"Party Lines" have probably took on a whole new meaning in this modern age!

6. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Anyone remember this kind of remote for the TV? We thought we were hot stuff when we got this remote! Us kids didn't have to sit by the TV and change the channel anymore!

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I remember something like that for the cable box.

The remote I remember for the TV (for those who could afford it) was a little bigger than a cigarette pack and had five buttons. On/Off, Channel Up/Down and Volume Up/Down. When the channels changed, there was still the familiar chunk, chunk, chunk.

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I remember taking my kids antique shopping and having to show them how to dial on a rotary phone. They thought that was the stupidest thing they had ever seen...it took too long waiting for it to return to the start after you took your finger out of the slot. :mrgreen:

9. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We had a funny experience with our daughter trying to figure out how to use a rotary telephone when she was 7 years old. But even more funny is that Fisher Price still makes the toy telephone with the rotary dial.

10. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Here's a bit of trivia for you... The reason cities like New York and Los Angeles have area codes such as 212 (NY) and 213 (LA) is because of just that. AT&T (the gvernment phone company at the time) assigned those numbers because it is the area code that could be dialed fastest with a rotary dial.

And now you know. :)

11. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

Our son was born Sept 2000, so all he had ever known in his life is watching TV with TIVO. It was hilarious when he was about 5 or so & we were at a hotel watching TV. He had to go to the bathroom & said "Pause it, Pause it"

The look of confusion & horror on his face when we told him it couldn't be paused, was hilarious!! He just didn't understand it.

I remember not doing ANYTHING until a commercial when I watched TV as a kid, and then doing whatever I had to do as fast as I could so I could get back in time.

I also had a rotary phone until I was about 14, & no call waiting or cable, or TV remote until then either.

My how times have changed.

12. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

when Jr was about 4, we were at my parents up north. my dad has an old truck with crank windows. I think jr must have rolled the window up and down 20 times. thought it was the coolest thing he had seen. I remember being like that the 1st time my dad got a car with electric windows. my mom and dad still had a rotary phone until about 10 years ago.

13. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

the echo of a crack sound in the school hallways, lol

14. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Mine had that same experience not too long after yours did. It was so funny

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Or the word "no" lol

16. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I remember when my grandparent got a TV that had one of these remotes. I thought it was so cool

[​IMG]

17. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member