40-42 interchange work

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by certdude, Mar 2, 2015.

1. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

2. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

I have been dealing with one of those intersections near Charlotte for the last four months. The best description I can come up with is clusterf##k.

Just my opinion.

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

about 8 months ago or so the NC DOT had one of those public response meetings at the West View Elementary school on Cleveland School Road. They unveiled three different plans.
    Plan 1. Diverging diamond at 40/42
    Plan 2. Diverging diamond at 40/42 and an exit at Cleveland School road
    Plan 3. Diverging diamond at Cornwallis Road

IMHO I thought the diverging diamond is a stupid idea. They should just do the SPUI. Also they should do plans 1 & 2. I figure we have enough growth that we could use 3 exits.

If they do anything at 40/42 they will do away with the light where the McDonalds/Burger King and put the light where the 40/42 Plaza (the old Ashley Turner Plaza) and the Dairy Queen.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Was talked about maybe a year ago. It will probably be 4-5 years out if it does happen here. My understanding is that there is no funding available for anything major in the 40/42 interchange area through at least 2018.

I think a better use of funding would be to complete 540 from Knightdale down to the 40/70 bypass interchange (http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/complete540/). Or widen I-40 from Rock Quary to at least 70 bypass if not all the way to 42 (http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i40nc42/). Both of these will probably not begin for at least another 3-4 years either, if ever.

There was also talks of making NC 42 4 lanes from I-40 to Business 70 in Clayton years ago (2000-2001) - http://archive.org/stream/johnstoncountyth2001nort/johnstoncountyth2001nort_djvu.txt

Sad as by the time they get around to any major project like these, the traffic at rush hour on 40 from 42 to the 40/440 interchange will be horrendous.

5. Rockyv58

6. jesse82nc

I'd be happy if they would just widen it from Walmart to 70 bypass. Cornwallis backs up so bad sometimes. Up to a mile at times in either direction on 42.

7. Rockyv58

:iagree:

I know people here do not care how things are done up north. Or even in New York of the south (Florida). But when I did live in Florida, the developer of a large parcel of land (i.e Wal mart 40/42 or the Son Lan property across the street) would be responsible for upgrades to the adjacent roads, adding schools, etc.

Just a suggestion, Maybe Son-Lan should go and at least widen 42 from the (and including) the swift creek bridge up to Corwallis. The county could then widen from Cornwallis to 70. JMHO

8. jesse82nc

I think it said something like that in the approval for the zoning from JoCo. Walmart/the developer was who paid upgrades to the area at the light where the Murphy Gas is.

Pretty sure Son-Lan or whoever actually develops that land, has to do all kinds of work in the area. Even some on the other side of I-40 and at the Cornwallis light, let me dig up the document.

9. jesse82nc

I'm trying to find all the docs, but here are some of the details:

New access points onto NC 42 shall be limited to one full
    service street aligned with the existing WalMart access/signal
    light and two right-in/right-outs as shown on the site plan.

Must obtain commercial driveway permit(s) from DOT and
    comply with all NCDOT traffic improvement requirements

Signage or pavement markings shall be utilized for the far right
    turn lane on the eastbound exit ramp indicating that the lane
    shall turn right at Glen Road.

All traffic improvements required through the Traffic Impact
    Analysis and as shown on a map kept on record at the
    Johnston County Planning Department created by Kimley-Horn
    and Associates, Inc. and entitled Crosland Assemblage - River
    Oaks, dated 8-3-09.

The Developer will be responsible for all required traffic
    improvements.

10. jesse82nc

11. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

The high development fees are supposed to cover a lot of those costs. I'm not sure of Johnston County but Wake county the development fees are incredibly high, then some cities (Cary) tack on even more.

12. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Good grief! They have altered, added, tweaked the 42 / Cornwallis intersection close to ten separate times since I moved here 15 years ago. Each time is just barely a nip/tuck or the addition of a 2 foot wide shoulder. Just widen the damn road already and plan ahead!

14. jesse82nc

Personally, out of all the possible construction projects planned, adding just this one section of 540 would make me extremely happy. Of course making it all the way to 70 bypass would be even better though.

[​IMG]

15. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Sadly, the latest we heard is the section you most desire is the one that will come last. And that could be 10+ years from now.

16. jesse82nc

I know, they would rather extend the toll road from the west. Sad since the part I highlighted is a route that is pretty much uncontested. So it could be built immediately.

17. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

If you really want to have the most up-to-date information on the Triangle Expressway Southeast, sign up with "movetheloop"
    The latest news has the EIS should be completed soon if not already, it's presented to the DOT this spring, suggested routes will be picked this fall, public meeting will be held this fall and routes go on record early 2016, acquisitions begin 2017 pending funding. It's all on the website for "movetheloop"

18. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

So what exactly is going on with that Son-Lan property across from Walmart on 42?

19. jesse82nc

20. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

NCDOT announces slew of work in JoCo

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/clayton-news-star/article24397381.html

Some to call out since they were discussed above:

▪ Access improvements near the I-40-N.C. 42 interchange. Right-of-way and construction will cost about $40 million and are scheduled for 2019.

▪ A road-widening and traffic-management project on I-40 from the Wake County line to N.C. 42. The project will cost about $36.9 million. Right-of-way acquisition is scheduled for 2018, and construction is scheduled from 2018 to 2020.