4042 website prob's?

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by ddrdan, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Win XP using Firefox 3.6.12. (clean of spyware or virus and no firewall/site issues)

1. This has always occurred but sporadically?

When a thread has more than one page, the page choice bar at the top and the bottom of the thread shows more pages than exist? For example if there are 5 pages it may show 8. And if you click "last page" it takes you to page 5. Clicking any number past 5 will bring you back to 5, the real last page.

The funny thing is if the thread posts are in the hundreds, the amount of additional non-existent pages increases in number. A 5 page thread will show 8 and threads with 700 will show 720. It's almost exponential and just weird??:confused:

2. Just recently started occurring sporadically?

When I click on "next page" or "submit post" or "preview post" it sometimes results with a blank page and a firefox fault screen of "The page isn't redirecting properly" I hit the "try again" and it works fine.

I use the PC for Arduino projects and diagnostic software. I do use the web for data sheets & research while working on a board. I use 2 additional NIC ports in that unit for prototype data communications. I also just loaded a USB O'scope software but the problem was happening before that.

I've done all the common things with cache, setup, referrer information, etc. None seem to fix the 2 problems? I can live with both problems because that unit's not my main, but if someone knows a fix I'll take it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 4042 website has a problem with the browser version I use. But I'd like to know that for sure. I hate the newer browser versions for multiple reasons. What I have is a wheel, it works and doesn't need re-design, and I'd like to keep it that way.:)

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

For #1, that is because the number of posts (and resulting pages) is not updated when posts are deleted (either by Webbie or the poster). Seems like a bug in the bulletin board software.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

And the issue shows in Chrome also. Actually the only thing I see different after this purge of trash is that the marker to indicate you haven't read this thread remains, that is until you reset it on the front page.

4. jtm

jtm Well-Known Member

And since apparently ALL the posts from a few of the most frequent posters have been deleted, I imagine most threads will have their page counts all hosed.

You know, I bet the two issues are related. I clicked "last page" on the "Random Thoughts" thread, and I got an error message there were too many redirects. The address bar showed it was trying to load page 3775. I reloaded, and it finally loaded on page 3771. Here's what I suspect is happening:

Because of the bug with deleted posts and the page count, when you click "last page" on that thread, it tries to load page 3796 (you can hover over the link to verify this). When you click the link, the software says "wait, there isn't a page 3796, so let me redirect you to page 3795". That doesn't work, either, so it redirects you to page 3794.

Apparently, this redirect can happen about 20 times before it errors out, with the page count in the address bar at 3775 at the time of the error. If you refresh the page, it only has to redirect 4 more times before finally hitting actual data.

So, you'll see the redirect error on any thread where the number of deleted posts caused more than 20 pages to disappear. But in the end, yeah, it's got to be a vBulletin bug.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Yes...it's a vBulletin "thing." We are going to run some routines to rebuild the thread index and see if that will clean up the post counts. 8)

6. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Thanks Webbie.