42 HWY

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tbilderback, Feb 19, 2018.

1. tbilderback

tbilderback Member

Does anyone know if they are they expanding 42 to 4 lanes or just devastating the forest? From the Caterpillar plant up to Flowers store....

2. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

somethingNother, markfnc and lgb0250 like this.
  3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Pisses me off. NCDOT made a big stink about data driven decisions to figure out where to fix certain roads. Go ahead and tell me that the decision to widen this section of Hwy 42 was above the table. Flowers has the money so they got the road. The 4042 area, an area hospital, a major commercial hub, and connectivity to two interstates (I-40 and the 70 Bypass) goes overlooked.

Auxie, Rockyv58 and cynadon like this.
  4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Harvey, I got an inlaw deep in the telecom business. They installed fiber in that area knowing it would not pay for itself. They were just told to put it as a selling point.

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Harvey I agree with you. Years ago the 70 bypass had been on the books but then it got rushed through and built. I had a co worker at the time suggest that it got rushed through because Sysco (Smithfield) needed a quicker way to get to I-40. Using my co workers logic maybe that portion of 42 is getting widened before the 40/42 area because of Caterpillar needing the road. Just putting it out there.

Auxie likes this.
  6. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I thought they were building apartments over there?

7. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

former governor hunt and his brother are developing the property at hwy 42 and glen laurel road. 3 story storage unit, commercial (publix rumored) and apartments. i believe widening of 42 e has been proposed prior to johnston health coming to clayton . it would be interesting to see traffic count on 42 east across neuse river bridge vs 42 w at cornwallis. my bet is 42 e has more traffic.