7th grade math teacher

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Emma Caroline, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Is there a 7th grade JOCO math teacher on this board that can explain the new Common Core standards to me. I have been through the District Curr. person, the AIG coordinators, the guidance counselors and the asst principal and no one can tell me what will be taught next year. I have been assured that the math teachers know so I am looking to find one who can help me understand the changes.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i'm not so sure the teachers have a full grasp yet, as the exact details of the system have not yet been fully hashed out.

basically, common core standards are meant to be a national standard. they will replace NC standard course of study, along with EOG tests. in a nutshell, there will no longer be algebra, algebra 2, geometry, etc. it will be math 1, math 2, math 3, with elements of each being incorporated all along.

with regard to reading, traditionally there has been a fiction to non-fiction ratio of about 75 to 25. this will be reversed, with non-fiction taking the forefront. reading will also incorporate science and history, etc.

it's supposed to be a more immersive type of study, with elements of all areas of teaching incorporated into math and reading. it's much more complicated than this, but this is a good basic start to the explanation...

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

4. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I have all the "head knowledge" about the changes. I want the reality. How is what they will teach in math 7 plus different from what was taught in pre-algebra last year. What exactly goes into the matrix to decide who is in math plus. Why can't my child take math 1 this year - since under the old plan he would be taking alg 1 this year. How have the teachers been trained. What is the exact standard course of study? On the website it,list math 7 but how much different is math 7 plus from reg math 7?

School starts in one month. Does anyone really know what is going on?

That is why I thought a teacher who would be expected to teach these new standards maybe able to enlighten me.

I have been following the wake co schools that have already started and from what I see - and yes I know,it is only a few weeks in- math 7+ seems to be an exact repeat of what pre alg was for my child in 6th grade

I think I am figuring it out. COMMOM is the key word. Everyone must be the same. No one can be ahead of what the rest of the class is doing!

5. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I wonder how that will affect high school transcripts since colleges are looking for algebra, geometry, etc... on the transcripts.

6. dangerboy

as i understand it, common core doesn't go into effect until next school year, 2013-14.

colleges will have to adjust, since the whole country is adopting this.

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

from CommonCore_EssentialStandards_FAQ @ Riverwood Middle website

"The North Carolina Standard Course of Study are curriculum standards adopted by the NC state Board of Education; Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and English/Language Arts and Literacy, and NC Essential Standards are for all other content areas beginning 2012-2013 school year."

http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/components/docmgr/default.php?sectiondetailid=146668&fileitem=98846&catfilter=ALL

8. dangerboy

interesting...guess i should do more research. looks like there are still states that haven't adopted it, but i think it's going to be a federal mandate by next year to receive funds. kinda like making the drinking age 21 for highway funds. maybe i got that wrong, too