8gb micro sd chip

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Rockyv58, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Anyone good at recovering information off an 8gb micro sd chip? I have a lot of pictures on it and some music. My computer won't even read it to allow me to format it.

Thanks

Bob V

2. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

It could be assigning it a drive letter that's already being used. Right click computer, hit manage, then click storage, then disk management. Locate your sd card by name or size. See if you can right click it and explore..

3. Rockyv58

I think the chip is damaged. I can read other chips but not that one, Can't even reformat it :( and the chip gets gets hot.

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I've used Wondershare Photo Recovery on recovering SD card data. It worked great. It will recover photo, music, and video files along with some types of document files. It was around $40.

5. Archie

Archie Member

Its usually the controller chips in these cards that go bad. That's the symptom you're describing. When that happens, you're just out of luck unless you're willing to spend a lot of money. It won't get your data back, but SanDisk will replace any of their SD cards that has a bad controller. I had one replaced and they were nice to work with. Sent the new card right away.

The recovery process is tedious. If you have the money, here is an example of how they do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jrzsaT6ls

6. Rockyv58

it was a patriot sd chip. I remember I did not spend much for it. Just ticked off that I didn't back up the picks i had taken. I ended up buying a replacement microchip and i am in the process of rebuilding the icons for peoples cell numbers. I usually know better to back up but I never thought a chip would go bad. Especially when it's less than two years old. This time I bought a Sandisk.