A neighbor is harrassing me

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CheerBearNc, Jun 18, 2007.

1. CheerBearNc

CheerBearNc Guest

Ok all, I need some advice from my 4042 family. I live way out in the country in Clayton and I have a neighbor who moved in about 6 weeks ago. About a week after she moved in my DH burned some leaves and pine cones in our burn barrell. SHe came out of her house yelling and scraming at him and my DH told her that what we do on our property is our business and what she does on hers is her business. Exactly one week later she came over while we were out and left a note on our car saying that the burning will have to stop. We sent her a note that says that what we do on our own property is our own business and we would like the harrassment on this matter to stop. She then sends a sherriff out and has papers delievered stating that we must burn 1000 feet from the house. Since the sherriff came we have NOT burned. Do you think this would satisfy her? NO, she then went around to all the neighborhood and handed out notes in peoples mailboxes stating that burning is illegal and her neighbor has a burn barrell and she wanted everyone to get together to get the barrell off our property. The neighbors just kinda laughed because like I said we are in the COUNRTY here, where everyone burns their debris. What should I do to get her to leave us alone? Anyone else have any harrassing neighbors and maybe have some advice? We have lived here for 7 years and have never encountered such a problem.

2. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Have you asked her what, exactly, is her problem with the burning?

3. CheerBearNc

CheerBearNc Guest

we actually did, she said because she doesn't want her house to burn or her paint on her car to peel. it was not near her house or car though. However it was not the legal 1000 feet but trust me it was not going to burn her house or peel her paint.

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

tell her to move back to the city...obviously she is not cut out to live with the JoCo country folk. Maybe suggest a nice shoebox community like LionsGate for her.

:mrgreen:

5. RDPCUSTOM

RDPCUSTOM Well-Known Member

put up an electric fence,lol thats what living in the country is all about, she needs to move

6. TheAntHillMob

TheAntHillMob Active Member

Since when is burning illegal?
    It's totally legal, unless you live in a subdivision that restricts it.

I'm confused that the sheriff would say it's illegal?

7. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

People in the country kill me with their burning. Global warming, people, that's the problem with burning!!! Let it compost naturally. It's so hot and humid here, things compost in no time. I do agree with you that the neighbor is a pain though. I don't agree with burning, but I still wouldn't annoy my neighbor with it. I will just annoy people on here.

8. shawk22

shawk22 Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight. It's illegal to burn, but the sherrif told you to be 1000' feet from her house when you do?

What am I missing?

9. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

It is illegal to burn some things but others are legal and in order to burn vegetation you must be 1000 feet from an occupied structure. Burning yard trimmings in a container, for example, may not fall under that rule by my reading but that would be for a professional to determine especially since there was such a statement made in this case.

http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/burn_permit/burn_airregs.htm

You can be fined up to $10,000 for illegal open burning in N.C.
    Smoke from open burning can cause serious health problems and pollute the air. That's why the state regulates open burning. Only leaves, branches or other plant growth can be burned.

It's illegal to burn:

Garbage, paper and cardboard
    Tires and other rubber products
    Building materials, including lumber Wire, plastics and synthetic materials
    Asphalt shingles and heavy oils
    Paints, household and agricultural chemicals

Homeowners can burn yard trimmings (excluding logs and stumps) if allowable under local ordinances, no public pickup is available, and it doesn't cause a public nuisance. Other allowable burning includes campfires, outdoor barbeques, and bonfires for festive occasions. Landowners can also open burn vegetation to clear land or rights-of-way, provided that:

Prevailing winds are away from built up areas and roads.
    Fires are at least 1,000 feet away from occupied buildings.
    Burning is done between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
    Remember, burn permits issued by the NC Division of Forest Resources or any local government do not excuse a person from following these rules. For more information, contact your Air Quality Regional Supervisor (see map below) or local County Forest Ranger.

10. Just One Guy

Just One Guy Well-Known Member

Get a big dog.

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:shock:

we burn our bills :lol:
    after we pay them of course;)

12. Wayne Stollings

I keep them for record keeping purposes myself ... :p Not my bills ... YOURS ... :lol: :lol: :lol: You never know when those receipts form Adam and Eve or Fredericks of Hollywood might come in handy ... like when you run for Queen or something ... ;)

13. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

My parents have an annoying neighbor. Now mind you, my parents have lived in the same house since they married 47 years ago. This family moves in next door a few years ago. He stays drunk often chopping wood in the winter at 2 in the morning right outside of my parents bedroom window. They also have 2 large dogs that only poop their huge poop in my parents yard....never their own. You can see them come out of the house and head straight for mom's flower bed or right outside the front door. Daddy tried to talk to the man about it to no avail. So my sweet, very quiet, non-threatening daddy decided to fix the problem himself. He began scooping up the poop and putting it right beside the man's truck door where he would have to either step over it or in it to get in. The poop problem stopped. One point for daddy.

I don't know what you can do about your problem. Having always lived in the country, we always had a burn barrel. We live in a subdivision now and our former neighbors had one as well. I never gave it much thought unless my windows were open. "Move to the country...live like the folks". Good Luck.

14. Wayne Stollings

You should get in touch with the Sheriffs department, Forest Ranger or the regional air pollution control office to confirm the 1000 foot limit applies to ONLY open burning and a contact name for your neighbor.

Print out the information from the link, add the contact information form whichever agency you use and give it to the neighbor with the explantaion that when you burn debris during the day in a container it is legal and there is no reason to be concerned.

15. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Call the county and ask for a copy of the exact ordinace that covers burning. Send it to your neighbor reigstered mail, return receipt. You might also want to send it to the rest of the neighbors that she has approached. Follow the law stated in ordinance and ignore her.

I won't get into all the annoyances of my neighbor (i.e. her kids throwing rocks at her and her car on a regular basis ... and a lot more drama) but I'll be dealing with an issue soon. She approached one of my guests last week when the guest was leaving my home. She told my guest she could not park along the street in front of her house. A few years ago we contacted DOT about our ditch and were told on a state maintained road 30 feet from the center of the road and 60 feet from the center of a culdesac is owned by the state as a right of way. I need to get that in writing. I find the neighbor's actions funny because it is that neighbor who has no respect for other's property. We had to ask her and her children to stop tromping through our woods at their will. We are very dilligent about our dogs and children not being on someone else's property unless invited ... it's called respect. Seems many people don't teach that to their children these days.

16. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

The rules are different for burning. It depends on whether or not you are in the city limits or not and the covenants of your individual subdivision.

She could get all the names on petitions she wanted to. If you are burning in a barrel she can get over it. Let me know when you run out of stuff to burn, I'll be glad to bring over some stuff so 'Mrs. Kravitz' will have something to keep her busy. ;)

17. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

Close. All state maintained roads are not 60' r/w. Subdivision roads that are taken over by DOT are mainly 50' r/w. Which means from the c/l of the pavement DOT owns 25' each side of that. Typically that means 3/4 the way up the ditch towards your house is where the r/w-property line starts. On cul-de-sacs, its still 50' r/w on subdivision streets. So if you are standing on the street looking at your house, you go down your ditch and then 3/4 the way back up, that is a good idea of where the right-of-way stops.

If you dont have a ditch and are in a curb and gutter subdivision, its still 25' from the c/l of the pavement...plus or minus.

18. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Where would I get an official copy of that information?

19. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

Ask any land surveyor.

Or you could call NCDOT in Goldsboro (who is in charge of streets in this area) at 731-7938. Ask for Sammy Wood. Not sure if he can give you an official sheet of paper or anything but he will tell you the same thing i did.

20. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member