Abortion pill/emergency contraceptive

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by LifeIsGood, Oct 31, 2006.

1. LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood Guest

Is now available OVER-THE-COUNTER. Starting tomorrow. What are your feelings on this.

WOW, is all I can say.

How is this for my first posted topic?

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I think you meant emergency contraceptive, since the egg is not fertilized it can't be what some folks consider abortion. If the person is already pregnant the contraceptive cannot stop the pregnancy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14497678/

3. whodathunkitya'll

whodathunkitya'll Active Member

I think it shows what a sad state this world is in today. It makes me sick. How about not getting yourself in that "situation" and then you won't have to kill an innocent baby. Sound like an idea. That would be too easy though.

4. LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood Guest

I am sorry, I guess you are right. I didn't know what to call it. I guess it isn't an "abortion".You have to take it before the sperm meets egg right?

5. whodathunkitya'll

whodathunkitya'll Active Member

That makes it a little different, I guess. Still, emergency contraceptive? :roll: Just don't have unprotected sex and there wouldn't have to be a "Plan B", as they call it. They are just making it easier for people to be careless and worry about the consequences later--or in the morning.

6. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

They need to worry about STD's !!!!

7. LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood Guest

I worry about the teenagers that get it. They can get it easily I am sure. Just have a 18 year old get it for them. I don't know, I think it is a good thing and then I think it has it's downfalls.

If you have a daughter (even if you don't, pretend that you do) How would you feel if you found out your daughter took this pill? Let's say someone got it for her.

Happy? mad? what?

8. LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood Guest

True.

9. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

It just adds to the false sense of security teenagers can have about sex. My daughter getting AIDS is scary than the thought of her getting pregnant. Now they have another 'reason' not to use a condom....

10. LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood Guest

So you wouldn't have a problem with the pill thing then. right?

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

3 million unplanned? Crap that's a bunch! :shock: :shock:

12. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Huh?? I said it gives a false sense of security... so no I am not for it.

13. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Seems to me that this choice should be up to the people directly involved.

We can all wish away promiscuity. And, having both a son and daughter, I hope that the open communication that we established early on, and in a continuing, non-preaching fashion, will make a difference. That said, teaching the science of contraception and disease prevention also included our moral feelings and beliefs.

Who among us can say that we've always taken the moral choice? I now that I have not.

Just saying No! does not work. Preaching abstinence only doesn't work for every young adult.

I am disturbed that politicians allow religious fervor in interfere with science.

14. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I recently wrote an editorial about this subject, but here's my opinion in a nutshell.

Emergency contraception should be no more readily available than birth control. You can't buy birth control over the counter without a prescription, why should this (which is essentially just a very high dose of the same type of medication in birth control pills) be any different?

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The main reason is that if you did not make it available without a prescription you defeat the whole purpose. Which hopefully is to reduce the number of abortions and unwanted pregnancies.

The medicine has been proven safe and legally is only available to adults.

16. Clif

Clif Guest

My 2p...

First off, I don't think the pill (Plan B) will increase promisuity appreciably whether it's sold over the counter or by prescription.

I am in favour of a "morning after pill" to be used in cases of rape, but I do realize that it will be used as a contraceptive. I do approve of the logic of making them available OTC, since (as the article points out), trying to get a prescription after hours, or on weekends, is virtually impossible.

All in all, the benefits out weigh the detriments.

I don't see this as morally wrong in the least, as it does not cause an abortion (as RU-486 does) if taken after conception. Indeed, it prevents conception, so in that way it is no different than a condom.

17. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I don't buy the argument of "getting the prescription is impossible".

You have a 72 hour window from the time you have sex, to take the morning after pill. So if you do it on Friday night, you have until Monday night to take the pill for it to be effective. You can go to a Doc in the Box over the weekend, or see your family physician on Monday morning.

Besides, you can use the same argument that if BC pills were more readily available (without a trip to the doc, and without an RX) more people would use it and therefore not need the morning after pill to start with.

18. msharris

msharris Member

I have a teenage daughter and my thoughts are this...

I sincerely believe that I have raised my daughter the best that I know how. I have taught her right from wrong and I have preached to her over and over again about sex, unprotected sex, waiting until she is married, not having sex at all, you name it, we've talked about it.

Bottom line is she and any other teenage girl and or boy are going to do what they want to do, when they want to do it. At your house, in the car, on the bus, at school under the bleachers. Unless you are going to go to school with them everyday, to work with them everyday (if they do work), to the mall, wherever, you can't stop a teenager from doing what they want to do.

If this pill will keep me from having to go to the clinic with my child or will prevent me for having to help her raise a child that she really doesn't need (and neither do I) then I'm for it :!: :!: :!:

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I haven't got the data (or my PC) readily available but if I remember the effectiveness drops off within that 72 hours.

So because of this formality of having to go to a doctor you would be partially responsible for a potential abortion. Not to mention some idiot might also gamble that the fertilization did not take place and blow off the hassle rather than miss work.

20. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Me too!