ABS Module Repair

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a place locally (Raleigh, Clayton) that does ABS module repair? The abs light is on. Pep boys did diagnostic and found it was the sensor in the rear end. I had it replaced and the light is still on. There is an ABS module under the hood. Pep boys said it may cost as much as 1500.00 to replace. I have seen some go for that much depending on make and model of vehicle. I did find it on an Isuzu parts page going for 444.65. LKQ says when they do have them in they sell them for 110.00. I was able to get one from an 2002 Isuzu rodeo from a salvage yard in Sanford for 40.00. But before I put it in I want to have it rebuilt so I know its in working condition. I found a place that rebuilds them for 79.00 but they are down in Georgia. I am looking for some place closer to home so i can drop it off and pick it up. I figure for 40.00 and 79.00 = 119.00 is a lot cheaper than 444.65

I figure rebuild the one I got from Sanford and put it in then take the one that comes out of my vehicle and have that rebuilt and keep it just in case for future needs.

PS I am doing a google search for a local place but I figure I would ask here in case anyone know anyone personally.

2. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Not local but I sent mine to AutoEcu in Tennessee and they did a good job. ModuleMasters has a good reputation for rebuilding BMW/Bosch modules but they're pricey.

Why not put the used one you bought in there and see if it fixes the problem? Mine was easy to replace, I'll be glad to help if you need it.

3. Rockyv58

Yea i have been thinking of putting the one I picked in, but still need to get the one that is inside it rebuilt so I have a back up. It is an 11year old vehicle and I need to keep it for at least another 9 years. if possible.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Don't know if I would trust Pep Boys on this one. Diagnosing ABS problems is trickier than scanning for Check Engine Light codes. Before going to the trouble and expense of rebuilding yours, swap it out with the used one and see if it fixes the issue.

If it actually does fix it, I would check Ebay, you might be able to get another used one for less than the rebuild cost.

5. Rockyv58

Does anyone know a reliable mechanic that won't charge and arm and a leg and try to sell you unnecessary work. but can truly diagnose ABS issues?

6. Rockyv58

Well I took the Isuzu over to Aamco on Monday and it was the ABS module under the hood. I had them swap out for the one I got down in Sanford for 40.00 and that seems to of fixed the issue. The owner said in 8 years he has never seen a ABS module go bad. He suggested not to go rebuild the one that was taken out. I will take your suggestion and see if I can find another one for 40.00. I know LKQ usually charges $110.00 for a a used one. Heck its cheaper to send the one that was taken out of the vehicle and send it off to get re manufactured for 79.00 then to pay 110.00 for another one.

7. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend any more money on the ABS module. Sounds like the problem is fixed, so just save a few $$$'s for future repairs just in case. If the shop was correct, you shouldn't have to worry about the module going bad ever again. If for some reason it does go bad, deal with it at that time. You should be able to safely drive the car even with a bad module, so that buys you time to hunt one down for a good price if the need arises.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.