Accounting/Bookkeeping Software

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by chuck, May 13, 2005.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

This is more a software question than a PC Help Desk question, but can anybody recommend any kind of small business accounting or bookkeeping software? I have never played around with Quicken, so it may be sufficient, but thought I'd get some other opinions.

2. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Quicken is actually the name of the personal accounting package from Intuit, designed for maintaining household transactions. While you *could* use it for business, it isn't advisable.

Check out the various versions of Quickbooks below and you can determine from the grid what features you need or want. Another advantage is that Quickbooks is widely supported if you need assistance, and, most CPA's today will accept a Quickbooks file from you when they do your monthly, quarterly or year end accounting, which can save you some bucks (no re-entry of transactions).

Here's the link to Quickbooks:

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/commer...editSelection=defaultSelection&_requestid=269

3. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

Cool chart, webbie, thanks. It looks like Basic or Pro would be sufficient. Anybody bought Quickbooks cheaper than that link quotes or is that about the going rate?

4. appcomm

Sometimes you can find a deal on Quickbooks at Sam's Club or BJ's. Also, you might want to check out Ebay for a deal! 8)

5. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

6. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

ooops....sorry about that. it is a great site, just make sure you have your defense system up :shock:

7. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Chuck, wish I had known. I sold the Contractors version of Quickbooks on ebay for $175, it was 2 years old, but it cost over $500 brand new.

Seriously you should check out Ebay.

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

We have Quickbooks for both businesses. It is super easy! If I can do it anyone can! :shock: If you get it and need some help, let me know, I do know where you live. The drive may be a little far, but I think I can make it. :lol: Just make sure you have Miller Lite as payment!!!
    I have the 04 version, my accountant said nothing really changed for the 05 version and to keep on with what I was using and save our money! I guess to pay her to do my quarterly taxes? :D

9. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

What the heck is the difference in the regular version and the "academic version?" I found the academic version on eBay for about $100, but the non-academic version is twice that.

10. appcomm

"Academic and Not For Profit versions of software are software that is priced for a specific type of institution. Manufacturers generally sell their products at a steep discount if the buyer can be considered a educational institution or a non for profit institution."

Typically you would need to be able to prove you are an active student, or an instructor at a school to be able to to "legally" use an Academic Version of any software. You'll notice a lot of time on Ebay that sellers make sure they say it is NOT an academic version they are selling (as it is considered to be a risker purchase.) The biggest problem you may have if you go with an academic version is if you ever need to call them for product support.

As for differences in the software, normally there is no difference in the actual product (although I have seen some academic versions that are lacking a few features, but that isn't common.)

If I was buying it myself for business use, I'd hunt around for the best price and buy the retail version and not mess with the academic version. My 2.5 cents! 8)

11. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

Thanks webbie. Best Buy has a $100 off special going if you order it online. I feel safer going that route anyway. I'd pay $200 either way since retail for "Pro" is $299.

However, my wife did just finish grad school. Hmmmm..... Ever thought of getting your doctorate, hon?