Advantage Waste no longer servicing JoCo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Crysta, May 17, 2011.

1. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Got a letter from Advantage Waste saying that they are no longer servicing Johnston County and that, effective May 2, Waste Industries will be our new garbage provider. It says that all prepaid accounts will be honored and pick-up dates will remain the same. The enclosed letter from Waste Industries says there will be no change to our monthly rates, day of service, or the services we receive, although the time of day for pick-up may change.

Anyone have any experience with Waste Industries? I did some online research and looked back through old posts, and there weren't many people in the area willing to recommend them.

I started doing some research on additional companies, which I've provided below. If there's someone else that you use, it would be great if you could provide the cost and services.

All Star Trash: $65 quarterly for trash only or $74 quarterly with recycling. It's $72 a quarter if you pay in advance for the whole year, at $288.

Ken's Trash: $45 quarterly for trash only. Recycling not offered. It's $39 a quarter if you pay in advance for the whole year, at $156. There is also a $5 set up fee for all new accounts.

ABC Sanitation: $66 quarterly for trash only or $84 quarterly with recycling. It's $78.75 a quarter if you pay in advance for the whole year, at $315.

Waste Management: (no pricing info on their website)

Brock's Sanitation: (no website)

Donnie Morrison Garbage Service: (no pricing info on their website)(don't offer recycling pick-up)

Wayne Stallings?

JoCo Convenience Centers: Free for recycling drop-off. $40 yearly for garbage drop-off privileges.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
  2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I have to deal with Waste Industries in Sampson County, they privatized their waste collection system with WI running the landfill and all the dump stations in the area.

My goodness what a cluster ****!

3. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Info

JoCo Convenience Centers: Free for recycling drop-off. $40 yearly for garbage drop-off privileges.

Recycling is free But A sticker for trash is $65 yearly. This is the way i go.

4. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

We do this, too. :iagree: $65 for a year...a LOT cheaper. Why pay more, and still have to worry about restrictions on what kind of trash, and how much can be put out for pickup?

5. Crysta

Crysta Guest

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Brocks does have a website.....:)
    http://www.brockssanitation.com/

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I got that letter too.. nice that the letter came on May 16th and it was dated May 3rd, and said that it was effective May 2nd.

I initially changed to Advantage Waste because Waste Industries had annoyed me with their pricing. I had found out I had been paying more than my neighbor for years, and they wouldn't lower my price when I called them on it.

I just called Republic Waste

http://www.republicraleigh.com/Pages/ForYourHome.aspx

They do service Johnston County, their initial set up charge is $103 and that includes your first 3 months service. After that it is $72/qtr.

Personally I'm not looking to pay more than I already do, and we still have some time to look for another company since we've paid through June 30th.

I definitely was irked when I read their letter the other night. :?

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Wayne Stallings?

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I didn't get the letter yet?? :?

I HATED W I before and will surely hate them again.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We are using Allstar. No complaints.

11. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We switched from WI to Advantage and have been very happy. I think there has been a buy out involved...last week when the Advantage Waste truck came into the neighborhood I noticed on the side it now said "A Waste Industries company". And I'm sure at some point WI will raise prices.

12. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Wow, I had actually written Republic completely off my list because they were by far the most expensive; even more than Waste Management. And I was really unhappy with their recycling program.

13. alen

alen Well-Known Member

We were with Busy Bee until Waste Industries took them over...told us the rates would remain the same. Rates have increased slightly and customer service is horrible.

Was going to switch to Advantage at the end of the month...that sux.

14. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Advantage just got bought too. I think we're switching to ABC.

15. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

We switched to Advantage from WI about 2 years ago. Their customer service was horrible and once a month our garbage was not picked up. I would call and they would say they'd get us in a day or two but never came back until the following week, and at that point we had 2 weeks worth of garbage. I really don't want to get stuck with them again, and I definitely don't want to pay more!

16. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

The exact same thing happened to us! We had Waste Industries when we first moved out here 15 years ago. Their pricing was whacked and much higher than our neighbors who also had Waste, and they wouldn't match it. Dropped them (which they could care less about), and went to Advantage. Guess the joke's on us.

17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

we started doing this last yr, saves us money and works well for us! :lol:
    Before that we had Waste Management.

18. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I guess we are in the minority here, but we have had no issues at all with Waste Industries. We had them when we lived in Kenly for years and then we signed up with Preferred when we moved to Clayton. Had them for a few years until they were bought by WI. They kept the rate the same ($45/qtr) until just recently. I think it is somewhere in the low $60/qtr now. Always on time, never missed a pick up, nice guy who regularly drives the truck, will pick up most anything I put out there.
    Before we got WI, we took our garbage ourselves, but I don't miss it a bit...especially in the summer!:ack:
    Also, just an observation. Several of our neighbors have Advantage and their receptacles seem to be smaller than our WI can. No way I could get by on a smaller one and definitely something to ask about when pricing.

19. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

We use Allstar and have no issues. They have been very reliable, were helpful when we forgot to put our trash out (whoops) and are locally owned by the Simms family. They have been great with their recycling service too. They also offer the convenience of being able to pay your bill online if you choose, which I personally love.

20. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

We used to have Busy Bee but WI bought them out. I've not had any problems with WI. We're paying $64.89 per quarter.