Airline Question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Emma Caroline, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I am planning a trip this spring and want to find the best airline deal. If I book from Raleigh to Las Vegas the fare is $169. If I book from Raleigh to San Diego--changing planes in Las Vegas the fare is $119. Does anyone know what would happen if I booked the San Diego flight but got off in Las Vegas and did not take the connecting flight?

2. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Not sure that anything really would happen going there, but what would you do about getting back since you wouldn't be boarding a plane in San Diego? That's where I would see the problem being because your seat returning would be given up in San Diego. You'd have to look into a one-way back from Vegas.

3. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

As long as you don't check luggage, there normally won't be a problem. If it were the first leg of the flight you weren't taken (for example, a return booked as SAN-RDU, when you wanted to get on in LAS), you'd have a problem, as by not boarding the first leg, the rest of your trip would be cancelled.

4. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input--I did realize I would have to pay the higher amount coming home. I did not think about the checked luggage--Thanks

I just want to make sure I don't get on a terrorist watch list by not boarding the 2nd leg of the flight.

I still can't figure why it would be less for me to fly further!

5. smparrish

smparrish Active Member

Airline fares are not based on distance but by market and competition. As far as not taking the LAS-SAN flight nothing will happen to you however, you cannot check luggage and any additional flights on the same ticket will be cancelled and you will lose the money for them.

6. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Jut to clarify,,, You are saying you want to go to Las Vegas but San Diego is less expensive, right? Make sure you understand you cannot skip that Las Vegas to San Diego flight on the outbound or the rest of your flights including your return will cancel. As far as the return you cannot skip SAN to LAS and board in LAS. If you don't board in SAN the rest of your flights will cancel.
    SAN is your destination in this scenerio not LAS. LAS is only viewed as a connection. If you are not 100% clear on this please feel free to ask any questions. I've been an airline res agent for 18 years. This is a very common question. Luckily you asked. A lot of people don't ask about it and then they have to buy new tickets at the airport which really sucks.

DB's wife

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Don't know if this will help but I just got these specials in an email from www.cheapflights.com:

Fly into the New Year from $39* OW
    Book a flight to San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York and other popular cities. Fly in style in 2010 with WiFi, movies, music, on-demand food and more. Grab a seat by Jan. 11. Virgin America

JetBlue Flights from $29* OW
    Here's a New Year's resolution you can keep. Book a flight to San Juan, the Bahamas, Las Vegas and other top destinations. Depart from select U.S. cities. Book by Jan. 13 for travel between Jan. 11 and March 24.