Amazon one-hour delivery service reaches Garner & Clayton

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Auxie, Sherry A. and Bluewillow like this.
  2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I am a firm believer that if I need something that fast, I don't need it. Few exceptions: like an ambulance.

Wayne Stollings, cynadon and Hught like this.
  3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

can you save me now

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The only thing I think is sillier is to send a drone to deliver your Lays Potato-chips and beer!

Sherry A. likes this.
  5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Yes, packing that missle with beer would really make a mess when it impacted and all of the chips would be broken too .....

Sherry A., Romeo and Hught like this.
  6. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Since 2 hour delivery is free for prime members, I thought I would try it out sometime this week. They have my dogs' food available on PrimeNow, so I thought I would order a bag of that and see how it goes.

Romeo likes this.
  8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

My drug dealer uses a drone. It works out well.

Sherry A. and Rockyv58 like this.
  9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

If I order a drone how will they deliver it?

Sherry A. likes this.
  10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

This is where the word 'convenience' begins to kill us. Logistically speaking, companies will move heaven and earth to get whatever you need to you right away. Nevermind the cost and by 'cost' I mean to the environment, infrastructure, our culture, health, etc. This is a little preachy (a lot, actually), but when is enough going to be enough? Some fat, lazy slob sitting on their couch wants a box of Ho-Hos right now, so some company is going to build up the infrastructure and logistics capability to do it for him? Let's skip this step and move on to teleportation already.

Auxie, Sherry A., Hught and 1 other person like this.
  11. jesse82nc

Romeo likes this.
  12. Wayne Stollings

Nah, the energy requirements alone would be prohibitive. You are totally converting mass to energy at one location and totally converting energy to mass in an equal amount in another location. Of course there is going to be some loss during all of this conversion and even a small percentage is a huge amount of energy.

13. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that Teleportation is something lazy Sci-Fi writers in the '60's used in their storylines because filming a model shuttlecraft flying to the surface of a planet was proving too expensive to create. In reality, it would be tough enough to transport "stuff", but to transport living, sentient beings atom by atom and expect them come out intact and unaltered on the other side...?

Not bloody likely, no matter how much energy you had at your disposal!

14. Wayne Stollings

A very very small start:

http://www.cnet.com/news/scientists-achieve-reliable-quantum-teleportation-for-the-first-time/#!

Physicists at the Kavli Institute of Nanoscience, part of the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, report that they sent quantum data concerning the spin state of an electron to another electron about 10 feet away. Quantum teleportation has been recorded in the past, but the results in this study have an unprecedented replication rate of 100 percent at the current distance, the team said.

Thanks to the strange properties of entanglement, this allows for that data -- only quantum data, not classical information like messages or even simple bits -- to be teleported seemingly faster than the speed of light. The news was reported first by The New York Times on Thursday, following the publication of a paper in the journal Science.

15. jesse82nc

Fusion Reactors will fix that. Lockheed hopes to have a "small" 100 Megawatt Fusion reactor working in the next 2 years, big ones would be in the mid to high Gigawatt range a decade or two later. Makes Shearon Harris look like a joke.

16. Wayne Stollings

Still the total amount of energy involved in the total conversion of mass or production of mass will be staggering

Remember the formula: E/m = c2 = (299792458 m/s)2 = 89875517873681764 J/kg (≈ 9.0 × 1016 joules per kilogram).

The energy equivalent of one gram (1/1000 of a kilogram) of mass is equivalent to: 89.9 terajoules or 25.0 million kilowatt-hours (≈ 25 GW-h)

17. Wayne Stollings

Given the average US house used ~11,500 KW-h per year that 1 gram would use about the same energy as ~2175 houses in a year or ~26,000 houses for a month, or ~780,000 houses for a day or ~19,000,000 for an hour. One gram only.

The waste of 0.01% would be enough to power a couple of thousand houses on each side of the transfer .....

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

19. jesse82nc

Still thinking small, think commercial, IT industry specifically. for reference the building I work in uses about 17-20 GWh per year, that's a small building. The larger buildings on campus use about 100-150 GWh per year. We use about 10 times what we used 20 years ago.

Extrapolate that out another 10-20 years. We could easily see single buildings needing close to 1 PWh per year.

20. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

And what waterway would it be on? Most Reactors are on/beside water for cooling and other reasons.