Another small business fails :(

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kodiak kid, Jan 24, 2010.

1. kodiak kid

kodiak kid Well-Known Member

Critter country (Pet store behind Dairy Queen @ 40/42) is closing for good as of Sunday, the 31st :( Supposedly Wal-mart opening killed business. It sucks too b/c now we have to drive all the way to 70/401 to get feeder mice and these guys were very smart and helpful...Once again, Wally world screws over a community.

It'd be nice if wally world would close its doors forever...

Oh, and if you haven't seen it...The movie "Wal-mart, The high cost of low prices" will make you think twice about shopping there...

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Oh whatever. Our grocery bill is lower thanks to Wal-Mart. With that extra money I save I can spend it at other places for other things.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  3. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

No firsthand knowledge of why they are closing, but I am sorry for anyone whose business fails, whatever the reason. (Assuming it is a fail and not just a choice to close.)

4. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

This guy had an opinion of the movie:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8063563/

I think he makes a good point. IMHO

"If Wal-Mart is so bad, why do 100 million Americans shop there every week? Is a third of the population too dumb to know they're acting against their own interests?"

"Do small businesses - the fabled "mom and pop" stores you hear so much about - have a right to remain in business, even though they charge people more than Wal-Mart does for the same products? If so, what other professions have a right to charge above-market prices for their goods and services? Do I have a right to double my salary as a talk show host, regardless of how many people watch my show?"

5. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I hate for any business to fail but to blame Wal-Mart as being unfair is crap. Owning a profitable business in th US is a privilege not a right. For all we know the owner made poor business decisions.

6. kodiak kid

Not to get nasty about it, But this is the 2nd place I have lived where wally world screwed over small business...The other Was Kodiak, Alaska...and that DEFINITELY screwed over mom and pops stores...

so yea, I'll shop at Lowes foods and food lion...Sure, they are big business...But at least employees are treated with respect and 99% of the stuff doesn't come from over seas....

7. kodiak kid

Because your average American is un-educated about Wal-mart and would rather save a buck then pass it on to their neighbor...

8. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

You are naive. The same grocery items are in both and nobody is screwing anyone. Nobody forces anyone to shop or work at Wal-Mart.

9. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

Is it a fact that Wal-mart caused that place to close? I The video store next to it didn't make it either. Was that Wal-mart's fault too? Dang, that red box.

10. kodiak kid

Video store...nah, that netflix's fault :p

I said I "Heard" that business went down hill rapidly when walmart opened...So, it may or may not be true...But can anyone honestly say businesses haven't lost customers b/c of wally world?

Anyway, regardless of why they are closing...they are closing :( Another empty store...

11. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

LOL at this person tossing around "uneducated" in one breath but
    later says Wal-Mart should be stopped. Get a clue.

12. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

:lol: yeah right. If the average American is like me and has a grocery budget, I get a lot more bang for my buck at Wal-mart. If I can save money for my family considering we are one income household, dang straight I will.

13. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

But it's still Wal-mart's fault cause it's evil. :twisted: :jester:

14. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

The more money I save at Wal-Mart the more I can spend at a local business...like McKinley's.

I bet THEY aren't complaining.

15. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

Excellent point, Mr. Wulf. :cheers:

16. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

We went in once to inquire about grooming for our cocker. Our interest was not returned, as it was difficult to get anyone inside to engage. The place was not clean, and it was noticeably malodorous.

We decided to keep taking our dog to the place we always have, as we are welcomed and our business is appreciated.

I guess if you wanted to extend your model/rant further, you could include Petsmart, where we shop.

Blaming a place with a successful business model appears easier than competing with it, I guess. Lowe's Foods and FL seem to compete with Wm for our grocery money. I'm fairly sure that they have similar, if not the same suppliers.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

IF it is the place I am thinking about, I went once last year. Once was all it took, my eyes were watering within minutes from the smell. Very little stock and the help was.........shall we say............disinterested. I'm thinking of the place behind the Ashley Turner Plaza, if you are looking at it from 42, it would be towards the left and back.

18. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

So some opinions of the place start to leak......of course this will fall on deaf ears. It's all about that mean ole money making capitalist system that's robbing poor old mom and pop.

:roll:

19. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

:iagree:

20. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

My family shops at Walmart every week, but I believe they would like nothing more than to dominate the market and then raise prices. In some areas, they are doing this already. Also, take note that they are increasing their varieties offered in their store brand name and beginning to take prime shelf space with lower prices. They get enough consumers buying their products, they can eventually limit the name brands, saving money and retaining their customers. Most of us are on a tight budget, however. We have to consider our own expenditures. If the mom and pop place is higher, we side with our pocketbook.

A retail establishment such as a pet store as the capacity to compete if they are savvy about advertising and building distinctive qualities about their business that would be too broad for Walmart. Small businesses can make it against large competitors, but it will take more blood, sweat and tears, not to mention highs and lows. Its the 'lows' that a business has to be prepared for when that time comes to ride it out. If a business can find their niche, Walmart is not likely going to touch them. There are plenty of examples of businesses that can make it with a nearby Walmart. Often times, service counts just as much as the sale.