Anti-Malware software

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by gcoats3, Apr 3, 2014.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

My computer recently was infected with JollyWallet virus/popups, whatever. I followed instructions suggested br MicroSoft. It appears to have eliminated the problem. I use MS Security Essentials for my firewall and virus protection. Evidently I need more than that full time. In the process of eliminating JollyWallet I ended up with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 15 day free trial software installed. Appears it will cost $24.95 to purchase 1 year protection. Being computer illiterate I have 2 questions:
    1) Do I need Anti-Malware software installed in addition to MS Security Essentials?
    2) If answer to question 1 is yes, is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware a good option?
    Thanks for your recommendations.
    Bucky

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

some of the items I use are freeware
    1. AVG 2014 http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download
    2.spybot search & destroy http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10401314.html
    3. adaware http://lavasoft.com/landing/comparison.php

when they place an icon on the desktop create a folder called utilities and move the desktop icon there
    then you can either run it with in windows but sometimes I will go and boot up in safe mode and go into the utilities folder and run them in safe mode.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

While some people may agree or disagree I think an all in one such as Trend Micro's Housecall is a great free program.

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I use Privatefirewall 7.0 without anything else. It's almost free. Set it on High internet security. No data mining resource hog in the background. The highest memory usage I've seen it get to is around 25,800k. The others can be 2 or more times that and intermittently increase cpu demand.

Two exceptions, if you're going where malware is prominent PF7 won't protect you. If you're using the peer sites for hacked version software, music, movies, etc.. it won't protect you.

If you want worry free protection buy one of the top 2 security programs:
    #1 - Bitdefender Total Security 2014 - $45
    #2 - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete 2014 - $49

Tip:
    In the first moment you find yourself being attacked by malware ..... "STOP CLICKING". Don't try to 'click' your way out of it. You want to stop data transmission and the install process as quickly as possible. Fault it and it won't load.

If your internet cable is within reach pull it quickly. If not and you have desktop and mouse capabilities right click the internet connection icon in the system tray and 'disable'.

Do an immediate power button shut down. If your O/S want prompts clicked to complete the shut down, pull the power plug or battery instead.

If you've set up your recovery like you're suppose to?? When you restart you should have a recovery point to use that's less than 3 days old. No??? Then proceed to the next step.:jester:

If your Browser has the auto crash recovery to last session feature, clear the cache and temp files. Start the browser & keep your fingers crossed, you may have just got lucky.:)

If the browser works shut it off and do a disk cleanup.

5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I use a combination of Avast and Malwarebytes, which works so well it has blocked 4042.com from opening for a few days because of a detected malware .....

6. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Damn why couldn't it of been months.

7. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Yes...that was a "false positive" coming from Avast. We had contacted them about it and it looks like, as of today, they have fixed the issue on their side.