Any help out there for installing windows 8 system builder

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by hhicshg, Nov 15, 2012.

1. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

My old hard drive saw its last days. We have another in there and bought the software for the Windows 8 System Builder to have a copy of the software and the key, etc. The new hard drive has been formatted but the installation is not going well it goes long enough to tease you by displaying the logo but that is not even far enough to enter the key. The logo stays up there and there is a little star looking thing moving under the logo and that just continues for as long as you will leave it. Has anyone had experience with this or can you point me in the right direction.
    I will do my best to give you the background on all this. I had disks for former OS's and upgrades and tried to use them originally. With what I had, previously I had gotten it up to XP Pro. On what I started out with, there was a request for a diskette. I don't have a diskette or a drive to put it in. So we tried just inserting the 8 disk in and starting it up. That didn't work. We wound up installing ubuntu and that installed but when we tried 8 again it reacted the same way.
    Any suggestions for what I can do to make this all work?
    :cry:

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Sounds like way too many OS disks were being used over the install of different versions.

Take that drive back to zero with a format!! You said you had XP Pro before? Does the PC hardware meet the Win 8 requirements?

3. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

We wound up taking it all the way back down and started it over.
    At this point I have 7 running on it and I am fine with that. I just want it to work. I have a laptop but like my desktop better for the messing around I do on a puter now. We are going to try a couple more things then just leave it alone.
    Thanks for the input.