Any thoughts +/- on local assisted living facilities?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

My mom, 73 YO this year and in reasonable health mentally and physically, is currently staying at Tanglewood (previously Aversboro) assisted living in Garner.

I think assisted living is in her best interests for a number of reasons, but I'm not very happy with the level of care at Tanglewood.

Anyone have any thoughts positive or negative, particularly re: Lawndale Assisted Living? I live off Barber Mill Rd. and work in RTP so I would prefer not to move her to Smithfield.

2. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Hey Gomer. I am sorry that your mother has to be at assisted living. I went through that a couple of years ago with my mother. She wanted to stay in her own home, but she just could not.

She moved to Lawndale Manor. There are lots of places in Raleigh and Cary that are nicer than Lawndale and Tanglewood, but they were just too expensive. Lawndale is a no-frills facility. The rooms have half-baths (toilets and sinks) with shower rooms on each wing. My mother had a room to herself which was more expensive, but that is what she wanted.

The staff was real nice to her and helped her when she needed help. They genuinely seemed to care and were saddened when she passed away. She was not happy living away from her home, but she eventually started to warm up to being there.

If your mother does not need a lot of amenities, then you might want to try Lawndale. I visited Aversboro assisted living when I was looking, but I thought that Lawndale was a little nicer. Overall, I was generally pleased considering my mother's circumstances.

Good luck to your mother and you.

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I've been to both places. I walked out of Tanglewood shaking my head. Do they still not even have toliets in the residents rooms?

Mother has been at Lawndale up until last month. She had to leave, but it had nothing to do with the level of care she was getting there. I will have to say that although the previous poster is right, it's no frills, and there are certainly nicer places out there, but the staff (for the most part, every place has a few exceptions) is wonderful. Several have been there for 5, 10, 15 years, and that says a lot about a facility.

They genuinely care about the residents, one lady sat with me in Mom's room and cried when she learned she was moving.

4. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Thank you both. I'm going to schedule a visit to Lawndale soon.

5. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

Hey Gomer, My advice to you is "DO NOT SCHEDULE", just go in unannounced and look around. I have also heard good things about Lawndale. If you move your mom there go at different times to visit. Do not be routine with your visits. That way, they will be on their toes. Do not be afraid to report any wrongs to the administrator!! YOU ONLY HAVE ONE MOM!! Be her advocate. Good luck!

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Hey, Gomer...I have nothing of "value" to add...just wanted to say that I know you will make the best decision for your mom because you want the best for her! That is all!

7. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Lawndale - My grand lived there 7 years ago...it was the best place we could find in the general area. I tried to visit with her 3x a week and usually had lunch with her.

When seh moved to Lawndale I explained to her that it was MUCH like my College dorm room w/ stranger roommate and all. She has her own TV & Recliner so she was mostly happy.

The food was good and I did not think that there were too many residents that was 'just left in park'.