Anyone a member of HealthQuest in Smithfield?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

I have a question...

I'm a member of Blue Cross Blue Shield and I was told by a couple of employees at HealthQuest that BCBS will cover my membership, as long as I swipe my membership card 10 times a month.

I called BCBS this morning, inquiring about it. I was told by HealthQuest, that as long as I was a member of the "Be Active" program from BCBS, that my membership will be covered. When I called BCBS and asked if I was, they told me they have never heard of the "Be Active" program.

I was just wondering if anyone that is a member that has BCBS covering them, what exactly is the name of the program? BCBS had nothing on HealthQuest.

I just dont want to have my claimed denied, then get stuck with a membership at HQ for a year/two years when I could probably get something cheaper at another gym. (BTW, HQ is a very nice facility!)

Any suggestions would be most helpful. (Also, recommedations for other gyms/programs in the area would be great too!)

2. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

I don't know about BCBS covering your gym membership charges, but I do know that BE Active is funded by BCBS, or at least it was some time ago. I would call BCBS back and maybe talk to another person to see if you get the same answer.

3. LJN

LJN Well-Known Member

4. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I saw the ads from Healthquest too. i am toying with the idea of joining, but I get tired thinking about it. I have to do something. *sigh* I need motivation.

5. ferrickhead28

Yeah, I tried that. Very weird. I went through managers, etc. No one has even heard of it. The only response I got was that I get a discount through the YMCA (which JoCo doesnt even have) and O2 fitness. Weird that they never even heard of the program.

6. ferrickhead28

Thanks for this!
    Not much info that I could see that would work with HQ. This is just one big puzzle. :)

7. ferrickhead28

I toured it last night. It is, really nice. Its very big, spacious and definately not crowded. I like that it was a "gym" but geared toward families. I can bring my 12 year old to work out too which was a plus.

Another "wellness" center is Rex Wellness in Garner. They dont seem to allow kids (please correct me if I'm wrong!) but it looks like they have the same stuff. I think they are a tad bit cheaper though. :)

8. ferrickhead28

*Just an update...

United Healthcare, not BCBS, has a program through HealthQuest if anyone is interested.

Obviously, wont work in my case but hopefully it can help someone else. :)

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

United Healthcare & Healthquest connection -- details please? Web linky??? DH has this ins. now (as of Jan 1) .. he could use soe HQ Gym & Pool time!!!

fingers crossed.

10. ferrickhead28

Sure! :)
    I think its very generous of HealthQuest to offer this. I wish Blue Cross would do something more than just "here's a free koozie for going to the gym"! :)

Healthquest is a really nice facilty. Its in a "center" directly across the street from Johnston Community Hospital. http://www.johnstonhealth.org/healthquest/index.html

It has a huge pool, water therapy room, enormous gym, lots of classes, raquetball, etc. We toured it last week and really liked it!

If you are a United Healthcare member, your membership will be PAID by United healthcare. You just have to swipe your card 10 times a month. (thats really not that much of a commitment). Healthquest will file the claims for you which I think is superb.

If you get a chance, go tour it. It seems small on the outside, but it really is huge. Everyone there is super friendly too!

Good luck! :)

11. ferrickhead28

Whoops! I also wanted to add, this is the first gym/wellness center that I have come across that allows kids ages 12 and up to also use the facilites.

I get to work out with my family. Always a plus! :)

12. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

I just signed up for something called "Member Health Partnerships" with our Blue Cross/Blue Shield coverage. They sent me a packet to help me manage my diabetes. I am trying to manage my sugars on my own for now, I joined because I am told they will cover visits with a dietician. The letter I received with my welcome packet states "As an active member of Member Health Partnerships, you have access to many health resources and benefits*, such as health coaching with an experienced health professional, six visits per benefit period for nutritional counseling, savings on diabetic supplies (through our deductible waiver program), and special discounts for select medications." The * states on the bottom of the page: Benefits available through Member Health Partnerships are subject to the terms of your current benefit plan.

So I am guessing this may be the program you may be looking for? Worth looking into; just call your BC/BS number on your card. Hope this helps! :cheers:

13. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

For those of you interested in using the pool at HQ, make sure you check with them on scheduling. There are some JC schools that use the pool for swim practice; I don't know if they block off those times, but I certainly wouldn't want to be in there with them! I know my son goes from 4pm-5pm and I think another school uses it before them. It shouldn't last much longer go, I don't think there are many swim meets left!

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Riverwood also allows/encourages this.

15. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Have you toured the Pineville Club? We have indoor & outdoor pool along with fitness facility & classes.

16. ferrickhead28

Really? I'll have to check into that. I didnt even think about Riverwood!

17. ferrickhead28

Where's that? I've never heard of it.

18. ferrickhead28

Yeah, I've check that out. I guess my issue with BCBS is, the "programs" that they offer a supposed discount to, still costs quite a bit of money. For instance, they have one at Duke. Want to join? Sure, its over $1,000. Want to join a nutrition class at Rex? Great! You'll need to shell out a couple of hundred. Then, I see what United Healthcare offers which is simply swipe your gym membership card 10 times a month and we will pay for your membership. THATS what I want. To me, it seems like BCBS is reaping on profits they can get from their members. If they offered discounts on less expensive programs, I might be more for it. Even the vitamins you get a discount on..it seems they picked the most expensive one.

Seriously. United Healthcare has such a great program. Either you go to the gym 10 times a month or you can get stuck paying the gym membership. Wish BCBS would offer that. :)

19. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, they have a demonstration/training thing for kids 15 and under, and then they are certified and can use the equipment. PLUS you get to go to the Super Duper Beach Party at Lions Gate as Thing I & II call it.

20. ferrickhead28

Good deal! I'll have to go up there this week and tour the facilty. It is closer than HQ. :)

LOL @thing 1 and thing II! Oh the joys of kids! ;)