Anyone have a Kindle?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Wife wants a Kindle, anyone have one? Comments? Do you like it? Which one do you have?

Was thinking Kindle with Wifi, the one with 3G and Wifi would be cool, but don't think she would like the adds in order to get the 3G one at a discounted rate.

2. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

My wife has the DX and I've got the 3G Wifi (without ads). We love them and travel everywhere with them. Amazon's customer service is the greatest in the world. My wife's DX joystick cracked somehow. Since it was well over a year old I figured we would have to send it back to them and pay to get it fixed. When I called customer service within 60 seconds the rep said he would replace it with a new one for no charge. Not only that but he sent it via over night delivery and we had it the next day. Now that's what I call CS.

Just a side note. Prior to getting my Kindle I used the Kindle app on my ipod touch and it worked great (for no cost). Granted it's not a large screen but it's easily viewable.

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

My kids gave me a kindle for my birthday, and I love it.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My husband got me one for Christmas since I am a voracious reader and he was tired of the stacks of books around the house. :jester: I wasn't really sure I wanted one. I have NO idea how I got along without it. I love, love, love it. I have the one with Wifi, we have wireless at home and it's all I needed, have had zero instances where I would have needed 3G. I love checking out Amazon's 100 top free books and always have plenty to read. I rarely purchase books unless it's a favorite author.

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I agree, mine is wi-fi also and I can download books at home, the airport, coffee shops, etc. I suppose if you subscribed to newspapers and magazines on your kindle, then you might want 3G.

6. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

I have the wireless/3G also, and I love it. Just wish the books were free (like the public library)...

I stepped on mine and they replaced it very quickly and even took care of migrating all the stuff over from the old one.

I'm on mine every day - either reading or playing a game. I still get hard copy books too - find it too hard to let that go!

7. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I started out with the Kindle DX. Loved it, now my husband uses it. He upgraded mine to a 3G for my birthday this year, and I bought the cover with the built in booklight for it, and a skin. I love this one even more. The DX was the first model out and the buttons on the edge to turn pages were in a bad place that would make me accidently change my pages. I had a couple other similar issues with button placements in their design. And it only had a plain boring black cover--yuck. With the newer models they seem to have fixed most of these types of issues. And I just love the cover with the booklight, mine is lime green :hurray:. It works great, is holding up well--pretty tough. Lights up the reading area very well. And I bought a skin for mine, which is one of my favorite things about it because it gave it some personality--it is mine, with my personality all over it. The skin was really easy to put on, and can be changed if you want to buy a new one or sell it, with no problem.

With the DX I would also have problems getting signal to download books in our house, and in other places. Very frustrating to have to stand out in my driveway in my pajamas trying to get signal. With the 3G I have no issues like this, and it is incredibly fast to download books.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i don't have a Kindle yet but i do have the free Kindle for Android app from Amazon on my Evo 4G and i absolutely love it. Granted on the smaller screens it might be harder to read but on mine it is plenty big and i love downloading the books and always having it with me no matter where i am. i do eventually want to get the Kindle for reading at home but i will continue to use my phone, it is just too convenient not to:cheers:

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Nope! And I don't need one neither. :mrgreen:

10. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

Love, love, love mine. I would be lost without it. I even bought a waterproof cover for the summer time at the pool and beach. I don't have the 3G one, but have had no issue with getting stuff downloaded.

11. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

There's a cover with a booklight?????!!!!!! My only "improvement" wish I have had for the Kindle is to be able to read it at night without the room lights on. That is awesome!!!!!

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes!! Love it, use it all the time. It's a little spendy, but worth it. :cheers:

13. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

I am thinking of getting my daughter one for her birthday. What is the difference with the 3G. Was wondering if it she needed one with the 3G?

14. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

I love my cover with the light attached. It is so worth the $60 investment. I use it all the time and never disturb my husband sleeping.
    We are thinking of getting my mom one for Christmas. She reads as much or more than I do, so she would love it.

15. rrgreennc

rrgreennc Well-Known Member

The 3G capability allows you to download for free using the AT&T (I believe) 3G network. This is in addition to being able to connect using wifi. As long as you have a wireless router in your home, I see absolutely no reason to pay extra for the 3G feature. We do all our downloads using the router at home, and have wifi disabled most of the rest of the time, to save battery life.

Now if you don't have wifi at home (or access somewhere else like McD's, Starbucks, etc), the 3G option could be useful.

16. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I've got this cover (or what was the equivalent, back in 2009 when I bought it):

http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-Kindle-Jacket-Display-Generation/dp/B0042AM7I2/ref=pd_cp_e_4

with this clip on light:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935009362

And they're both great! The light takes a single AAA battery, lasts a long time, can angle it in ANY direction so it doesnt glare or get in your eyes, and you can unclip it if you don't want to bring it along. You can take it off and use it for other things if you want to read a REAL book (the horror!) or do a craft or something else in dim light. I've carried it around the house and used it as a flashlight at times.

The cover holds the kindle securely and tightly. No fancy designs, or stars or spots or stripes, just solid colors ... but it's gone lots of places with me, and still doesn't show a scratch. I'd planned on getting more than one color ... but I haven't needed to! Also gives you much more of a 'reading a book' feeling.

Done with my product reviews. ;)

17. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Thank you, elims!!

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

One note ... just noticed amazon.com's saying "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months. " for all of these covers. Boo! 'Course, there's always 'Used' ....

19. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for all the great info.