anyone here eat Quinoa?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Sep 27, 2010.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I keep hearing this advertised on the radio at Trader Joe's and I was just looking at websites about it - and it does sound interesting! Also it sounds like an alternative way to cut down on carbs (rice, grains etc).

But of course I thought I'd come to the 4042 experts :lol:
    So, does anyone eat this? If so, how do you serve/eat it? :allears:

2. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I use quinoa as a side or an additive to soups,stuffed peppers, etc. It is quite high in carbs, but it's a vegetable protein (a complete protein), high in fiber, protein and nutritional value. It processes in our body differently. When using it as a side, it's much like rice, it absorbs whatever spices, broths, etc that you cook it in. It can be pretty bland if you just use water.

3. cece

cece Well-Known Member

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

which section is it in at the store? I looked at FL, but couldn't find it. :confused:

5. cece

cece Well-Known Member

I have not seen it at Food Lion, but I know Lowe's Food carries it. I believe it is in the rice area if I recall correctly.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

anyone here eat Quinoa?

I heard BuzzMyMonkey has.

7. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

It has a good texture, but no taste by itself. Needs a lot of spicing up.

8. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

I bought some yesterday. I heard all kinds of good things about it so I am willing to try it. I am going to cook it in chicken broth and add some garlic and onions sauteed in olive oil. Seems simple enough. I heard it's got bitter stuff on the outside so it needs soaking to get the "yuck" off before you cook it.