Anyone here have Centurylink DSL w/o a landline?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Straitlover, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

If so and you don't mind, would you tell me how much you pay per month? A PM is fine if you don't want to post here.

When I originally got my DSL, the fee to have it w/o a landline was basically the same price as a landline. I'm wondering if they have changed their policies any w/ so many people having cells w/o a landline now. I can't check on the website because I already have DSL (can only get upgrade prices). I don't want to call them until I know that the real deal is, because you know they'll try and talk you into signing up for everythign they sell, LOL.

TIA!!!

2. jtm

jtm Well-Known Member

Go to http://www.centurylink.com/home/internetonly/ and click on the link near the bottom that says "See Important Details". On that next pop-up page, I found the following:

$29.95 PURE Broadband: Listed rate requires a one year term agreement (after which the standard monthly rate will apply) and applies to up to 1.5 Mbps. An additional monthly modem fee plus one-time shipping and handling fee will apply. Service terms set forth in the DATA SERVICES sections below also apply.

So, at least $30/month, plus some unknown monthly modem fee, plus some known activation fees. From the way they hid that section of their website, they obviously have no interest in selling internet without phone service.

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

They came by my house yesterday. I am seriously considering switching.

For TW, we are paying on average $140 per month for cable tv, on DVR box, and HS internet.

CL says they can give me HS internet, the same cable, and a whole house DVR for under $100, plus a $100 gift card for switching.

Anybody had CL for a long period of time want to weigh in on service?

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

we've had CL for many yrs...can't remember what it was originally, but it was Embarq, now CL - never had any problems with service, or customer service. anytime we've had a problem, they've always been prompt at taking care of it. a few months ago, lightening got our dish - they came out on a Sunday to replace it. Only problem with dish vs cable is you can loose signal if it really cloudy and stormy.

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I had all kinds of issues with Centurylink until I dropped them. Perhaps I had a bad modem but I had enough of it.

7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

my century link drops out 3-4 times a day

8. JenniferK

Wait...

CL is a dish?? How'd I miss that?

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

sorry, my bad. we actually have Dish network, but it's bundled w/ our CL bill.

10. JenniferK

So I'm still confused, lol...

If you switch to CL, do you have to get a satelite dish?

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Their site is weird, thought i would check it out but when i put in my address to check availability all it will take me to is business class:confused:

12. JenniferK

It does the same thing for me, but it's available on my street (so I assume it would be available on yours) because they were out walking the neighborhood handing out fliers yesterday.

13. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

I have CL phone, internet and their prism for tv. So far they are great no problems just got their tv about 2 weeks now and I love it. Oh and their service is now wireless so no wires or dish

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  14. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

We had a guy come to our house and he convinced us that Century Link was a better deal. He told us we could try it for 30 days them if we did not like it we could cancel. It turns out he is not really a century link employee--just a marketing company. Century link came to set us up and first thing we were told they would not do what the marketing person said. I should have told them to leave then. They were at the house for about 2 hours--knocked a pucture off the wall and broke it and damaged my kitchen floor. They started to leave and I said--wait I want to test it--sure enough the phone did not work. He did get that fixed. After he was gone we realized one of out tvs was not working. I called for customer service and they saif it would be 5 days until they could come back. This was within 30 minutes of the man leaving. Within 2 hours our phone line stopped working. I called back and told them I wanted to cancel and have everything put back the way it was--they told me that did not do that. We were totally without phone for 5 days. WHen I got time warner to come out--at my own expense--they saw that century link has cut the wire to the house. TW had to install a new wire. CL had also disconnected my dish and we had to pay them to come back and reconnect it.

It was a nightmare and I would not reccommend anyone switching to them--especially if someone came to your door. If you want to do business with them be sure you call them directly so you will know what you are really getting.

Also--the TV kept freezing up and the internet was slower that TW

Yes the bill with CL was cheaper but the service was crappy.

Just my experience

One funny thing is the guy left his tools when left--he even told me hed had to go in a hurry because he was going to a fishing tournament. He call back 3 days later when he realized he had left them--I told him he could have them back when he put all of my services back. I never heard from him again do I guess we got some tools out of the deal.

15. shawk22

shawk22 Well-Known Member

I have Centurylink fr DSL only. Price per month is $39.99 for 10.0mb service. That is the fastest they offer. I also happen to work in Telecom and think their customer service is very responsive. I've also had the same modem for 6 years now and it works like a charm still.

16. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

we just got Earthlink Cable for 29.95/m for first 6 months....deal is on their website....been great having the 20th century back again.....

It's routed thru Time Warner's lines where I'm at, but I don't pay Time Warner prices....and we do not have a landline or bundle.

17. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I got adsl with Embarq as early as I could where I live. There was a period of time when it seemed like it went down every day after using it for a time.
    Way back when, I had some problem with one of my regular land lines--main line was out of service and I was out of town for a week. My daughter was here by herself but the main line was out so no calls were coming in. A tech with years of service finally came out after I got back and fixed it. the dsl support group would send me another modem and it would be okay for a while then we would start the whole thing again. I finally began calling them every time dsl cut me off or whatever. They are supposed to document all the calls they receive. Anyway I asked for the tech who fixed my voice line. He came out and did some trouble shooting and did some physical work. He called it splitting the line. I have not had a problem since then. So if you like dsl just start calling them every single time you have trouble and document with whom you talked and what commitment they gave you. Sooner or later they will fix it. I don't think I have had any trouble in over a year now.

18. dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez Well-Known Member

I have Century Link and Direct Tv through CL and I am very happy with the services for the past 4 months.