Anyone know where I can buy a bunny?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, Mar 26, 2012.

1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

My daughter is wanting a Bunny, as her first pet, I think it's a good idea. Especially since I want the crap for the garden. But where locally, (up to Raleigh, down to Fayetteville) radius from 40/42 can I go to find a good bunny.

She'd like a lop eared as her first choice, but a Rex will do as well. We'd like to get it as a baby, just weaned, so we can have it as a pet for a long time.
    I'd like to get it from a registered Rabbitry as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

We have had inside, potty-trained bunnies in the past...loved them both dearly! Keep in mind that they are extremely fragile - skeletons are 75-85% softer than human bones according to my Vet. They can kick wrong and break their backs. They also have very temperamental digestive systems and once you realize they are sick, it's often too late. Not trying to be Debbie-downer, just wanted to share!

3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I think Hudson's sells bunnies, especially this time of year. Not sure if both stores do, but I am pretty sure I have seen them in the Clayton store.

4. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

A family member gave bff a bunny several months back. They did very well together. One day her dil and a couple of the grandkids came in. The kids were old enough to be responsible and treat it gently. The older one picked bunny up by the scruff of her neck like you would a kitten. They held her a bit and when they left bff noticed bunny was not doing well. She called her brother to come look and he was pretty positive they had broken something. Bff was pretty sure it was her neck. By bedtime little bunny had died. It could have been so easily prevented it they had just been easy with her.

5. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I have a friend who owns a farm. She has bunnies for sale. She raises a variety of animals from bunnies to peacocks to goats to chickens to pigs to you name it. Bunnies are VERY used to children at the farm. She also rents animals out for two week periods to see if the kids are able to have a certain pet. This option works well for some families as some do discover they can't handle the animal. Though most end up with the animals from my understanding. Lots of options, great farm and very family oriented. The animals there are extremely used to people. Let me know if you'd like more info. Thanks.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Cooked or uncooked?

7. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

Tractor Supply have them too, but I would call first. I think I saw them at Hudson Hardware last year around Easter.

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I know you mentioned you wanted a baby bunny from a bunny-breeder ... but you might check the WAKE SPCA .. they usually have perfectly friendly bunnies of a few different varieties. Not sure about other rescues.

9. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I second this! A lot of times the animal control facility at Wake County (different than the SPCA) has bunnies too, they have a few right now I think, and they are often very friendly since they get handled by lots of people while they are waiting and were usually someone's pet. Also, make sure you understand the life expectancy of a bunny, they actually can live quite a long time, 8-12 years if spayed or neutered, and it is a long-term commitment (many years if well-taken care of) unlike something like a hamster that can be expected to live only 2-4 years.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Saw an ad in the Classifieds/Pets section for free rabbit food ... you might stock up now, if you're sure you're gonna get a bunny. Just a cost-efficient suggestion.

12. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I saw that too, it was gone by the time i e-mailed. Oh well. I'll get plenty soon enough. thanks tho!