Are there Austin Pond residents here...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Melon, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Melon

Melon Well-Known Member

...who hear (what sounds like) shooting every morning about between 6:30 - 7am? I hear it and wonder about joggers, schoolkids and pets.

2. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

Not a resident, but you are probably hearing duck hunters. The casual jogger, school children, and everybody else should be safe. The duck hunters are probably in the surrounding swamps shooting shotguns in the air. Season goes out next week.

3. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Thank God!!

:iagree:

4. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I've always wondered; so if they are shooting into the air, what if they miss the duck? Where does the bullet go? It has to land somewhere. Can't it still hit someone? I don't want to be an alarmist, but we hear gun shots most days off Guy Rd. It just feels too close for comfort.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Its a shotgun for duck hunting, not a rifle. Big difference, shotgun casing that holds metal fragments that truly don't travel that far versus a bullet in a rifle, which can travel much further and do a lot more damage.

6. OutdoorPlay

Because they are using shotguns which has smaller pellets and the fact the shotgun doesn't shoot very far, after about 100 yards the pellets are harmless falling back down. No more than walking in a rain storm. Rifles on the other hand can be dangerous. The hunters wouldn't be using rifles to hunt ducks.

7. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

What you are hearing is the sound of Freedom!!!!!!

Much like the jet outside Cherry Point! Pardon the noise but those hunters are practising the greatest gift given to us! Freedom to do what they want. They are doing something they love.

Be glad someone still gets to do something they want!

8. HidesinOBX

That is a weird comparison. I am from Va Beach... we expected jet noise, no one complained...sound of freedom! Yes, those hunters may be doing something they love, I understand that, but it's just odd to hear gun fire near your home.

9. Melon

Melon Well-Known Member

I appreciate the info. Perhaps it's overlapping hunting seasons, as I hear the shots through the spring and summer. This morning there were at least two calibers. I guess it could be sound traveling.

I shoot at indoor ranges and will go to Drake Landing this spring. This past summer, midday, I heard several five-shot groups, like discharging and reloading a .38. Certainly wasn't a .22. It's a rare morning when I don't hear shots.

I certainly wouldn't want hunters to not feed people. Is there that much game around Austin Pond?

10. OutdoorPlay

If you are hearing the shots in spring and summer, you are probably hearing someone target practicing. I don't know what the new law is in Johnston County, but I know they recently changed the law about target shooting.

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Welcome to JOCO! where you can and will hear gunshots just about year round!

and just for the record, duck hunt (bird) shots are lots of little pellets in a shell, it's not just one bullet. so when they 'don't hit a duck' they disperse into tiny bits.

in case you need a visual:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7afimVfWaA

12. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

I disagree...... It should be weird to not hear gunfire near your home! We should all be practising and exercising our rights.

13. HidesinOBX

I have gotten used to it ... now that I know it's bird shot, I feel better.

14. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:mrgreen:

15. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Didn't there used to be a hunt club at Austin Pond down near the dam, back when it was a dirt road? I think the buildings still there. Maybe it was a fishing club and folks were just plinking...no houses there at that time.

16. Gomer Pyle

The proposed law originally included a restriction about shooting within 600' of a dwelling but it was removed. The new law is mostly common sense, with some language specific to firearms discharge included under "Loud and disturbing noise" which is probably subject to the judgement of the LEO involved.

http://www.johnstonnc.com/files/board/Rev3.pdf

17. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

You keeping under cover right? A lot of squirrel hunters out right now.

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

let us know if you want some company shooting :mrgreen:
    it's not like you live THAT far away. :p

19. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It was a fishing club and you're right, there were no houses then. I'm pretty sure the ponds and the hunters were here first. If people can't deal with the reality of living in the country they should move to a town, city or incorporated area. When they hear gunshots in Cary there's a pretty good chance it isn't a hunter.

20. Gomer Pyle

Sorry for the threadjack.

I went into the 40/42 Applebee's the other day (...and walked out again, but that's another story).

Just as you walk in to the left there's a picture of Austin Pond taken W to E with a gas station/ country store (where the fishing club is/was) in the foreground and the old mill in the background, circa 1930. Cool!