At What Age...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

At what age would you start piano lessons?

2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

6 or 7?

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Probably Kindergarten unless they appear to have some early ability. My son didn't start til he was in middle school. I wish I had known he had talent earlier, I would have started him sooner.

4. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

The reason I'm asking is that I have a grandson who will be four in October. He likes music, and enjoys playing with his "Melissa and Doug" toy instruments, but I don't want to start plopping down money for a piano teacher is he's too young. On the other hand, I don't want to wait till he's too old either.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Dara Edwards at Riverwood. She's awesome and I'm sure could point you in the right direction. 919-553-4073

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Have at it Clif...If he loves music it's never too early.

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

We we plan on getting a quality keyboard (pianos are just so 20th century!). I just don't want to start paying for a teacher if he's too young to learn.

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I'd wait a year or two more. Mine loved music too but burnt out on the instrument after I started her at a very young age.

Sherry

9. Ksokol22

Ksokol22 Well-Known Member

Depends on how early they take an interest in it. If they are interested, they can learn!

10. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Clif,
    I tell the parents of my students that the child needs to be able to make an effort to sit for at least 30 minutes a day to practice, and they also need to be able to do some basic math/counting for when it is time to introduce actual music and rhythms. I've never taken on a student that was younger than about 5 1/2 years old. Before that, I think it could just be difficult for them to grasp some concepts and retain technique. But you never know. IF you decide to go ahead and start lessons, a consult should definitely be offered regardless of age.

11. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

He'll be playing Tiny Dancer before you know it.

12. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

same here...started at 4 1/2 with an excellent teacher, but it was too much too soon...now he loves everything about the Performing Arts EXCEPT playing instruments...

13. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I didn't start until I was about 7 .. but I have some friends back in Missouri who started their kids on violin by age 3 or 4 (I've never seen violins so small!!), so I guess it really depends on the child.

I'm with the others .. you CAN start too early. I HATED piano for the first several years that I had lessons. It wasn't so much the lessons, but the practicing. It was as bad (if not worse) than doing homework .. and what kid wants MORE homework? I did not want to practice. The 30 minutes of practice time was TORTURE. But you can't NOT practice. My parents made me keep with it, and I started to like it by the time I was about 11 or 12. My first several years were just a waste of time and money, if you ask me.

14. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

I definitely agree you can start too young and kind of ruin a child's interest in playing an instrument. But I also believe that can come from a "bad match" between the goals that the student wants and the intentions of the instructor. I started taking lessons when I was 6 years old and enthusiastically continued until I left home for college and I credit my piano teacher for part of that. While I am trained in the classics, whenever my teacher introduced a difficult new piece to learn that she knew I would be learning for weeks or months, I always got to choose a "pop" song to learn as well. So at any given time I was learning/practicing new technique, classical and a popular song. Then throw in hymns or other stuff and it was always a lot of fun. I think the mistake made today is a lot of beginners start out with a very serious, structured teacher and it is overwhelming from the start. Not saying serious/structured is bad, just that not every child has the intention of going to college on music scholarship or being in competitions, etc. Some just want the joy of playing an instrument for a hobby, not being "the best" at it. This is something to discuss with your child's instructor for the beginning and the be open to how the child progresses and develops.

15. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

That was a good Thread!

Sherry

16. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

17. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Ok, based on the feedback here (as well as other places I've asked), I think we'll get the keyboard and then take a wait and see till he's 5 or even 6. If he shows interest before then, we'll hire a teacher (that specializes in young students). If he doesn't show an interest by 6, we'll force him into lessons. :)

Thanks to all for your opinions. :)