Attn: Cleveland Middle School Parents

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by casidycoop, Oct 28, 2009.

1. casidycoop

casidycoop Guest

I am pretty sure you all have noticed just how busy the carpool lane has been this year. I was hoping after the first nine weeks that the lane would begin to decrease. This has not been the case. In fact My Child was counted tardy for the second time this week, although we arrived @ 7:55am and the tardy bell isn't until 8:05am.
    I spoke with the Asst Principal this morning, who informed me of some new info that I felt needed to be shared in the community. Firstly, due to the over crowded school and the issues they have experenced this year, the arrival time can begin @ 7:40am instead of 7:45. Secondly, she stated that if a student arrives at 8am ( give or take a few mins ) they will be marked tardy. Three tardys lead to after school detention.
    In other words..carpool lane is non functional..and if you want your child to avoid these problems..they must ride the bus!!! urghhhhhh

2. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

How can they be marked tardy at 8am if school doesn't start until 8:05?

3. casidycoop

casidycoop Guest

I was told that it is due to the "parents" arriving @8am, and that this has left the school with no other option. I told her that I did not agree; She stated that we could agree to disagree.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Wait, you are AT the school on time and they are STILL counting your kid tardy???? They can't manage the car pool lane and YOUR kid is being penalized? Seriously?? :shock: I mean, the solution is that you "just" leave earlier, but heaven knows, sometimes that is easier said than done. :?

5. casidycoop

casidycoop Guest

Yes! I know! I was there @ 7:55am that is ten minutes prior ..I mean really, we all have clocks in our cars these days!!! I just knew when I went into the school, I would be greeted with apologizes. But, I assure you I was not. Not to mention I had to make my way into the office through the line of kids backed up to the front doors...waiting to be marked tardy..umkay?

6. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

We have had exactly the same issues. We have also had days where to get in line at 7:50(which is when the school website says you must arrive no earlier than) meant you would be backed up almost onto Cleveland school rd. Does this take effect immediately or were they planning to inform us of this before the first tardies?

7. casidycoop

casidycoop Guest

She stated that it was in discussion now. Whatever that means.:allears:

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Hey casidycoop! :mrgreen:

Thats all I have to add. :lol:

9. casidycoop

casidycoop Guest

10. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

So far, it appears that the admin at CMS makes changes as they desire, without letting anyone know.

As an example, when picking up a student form after school tutoring or retesting, one could formerly park in the parking lot, and your child (presumably old enough to know when to cross traffic) was permitted to go into the parking lot and get in the car.

With no advanced warning, that policy changed. I sat for about 15 minutes waiting for my child, not seeing her in the crowd. Finally I saw her and thought she'd come to the car. No dice. I finally walked over, and one of the adults said, "we don't allow students to cross without a parent." No mention of this in any fashion beforehand, mind you.

I get the feeling that the administration of this high academically high achieving one, feels that it can presume some type of power that they associate with the high academic ranking, and rule as they wish.

It doesn't surprise me that the administration has taken an illogical position concerning the volume of traffic and the limited time frame for car pool drop off in the morning.

11. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

why do you torture yourselves? let the kids ride the bus and they wont be tardy? i dont understand why people take their kids if bus is available. i lived in other states and it wasnt a problem.i wouldnt want to do that twice a day anyway.

12. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

The pick up in the morning is at around 7 and then it is almost 4 before they get home; considering we live less than 10 minutes from the school the amount of time spent in transit seems ridiculous. Then there are the cursing thugs who apparently also ride. And the fact that the buses are driven by overworked, underpaid TA's...

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I didn't let my son ride til he was old and big enough to take care of himself. Kids are mean.

14. casidycoop

casidycoop Guest

And so on and so on.. The reality is it is a choice...

I agree wholeheartly Hat..I asked too, why this had not been comunticated. I was told to refer to the website, and in my Child's handbook..where it clearly states the new change this year to 7:40am. I looked through both this is all I can find..Under the bell schedule

Students may not be dropped off before 7:50 in the morning.

8:00 First Bell

8:05
    Tardy Bell
    http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/school/school.php?sectiondetailid=6068&

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
  15. fizzco

fizzco Well-Known Member

now i don't have any school age children, so i don't know the whole grand sceme of things but........

what if they assign time slots for certain grades ( drop off and pick up)
    or an assigned entry to break up the overflow. ( i don't know the lay out of the school).

i know it's not full proof of life but a suggestion. it may be better than everyone arriving at once. if they don't have anything like this in place already

16. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

I'll add too, Hey :)

17. casidycoop

casidycoop Guest

I am feeling the love ladies..Thank you!! O' Hey! :cheers:

18. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Kids on the buses are never considered tardy. Doesn't matter how late the bus is. Just doesn't seem fair to me. If your going to count those in the carpool line late, then when a bus pulls in late it should be counted as the same, rule should apply to everyone. But I don't have a dog in this fight any longer, thank the powers above.

19. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

and there are cussing thugs inside the school too. And there are cussing thugs in the carpool shuffle heading inside the building.

just sayin....

20. seabee

seabee Guest

there is no comparing a bus route and a parent driving their kid to school...not even close to being the same thing. simple solution if drop off is late... get there a earlier...