Backpack Buddies

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cece, Sep 23, 2010.

1. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Does anyone currently participate in this program?

Are there any local places that do this?

I heard about this one:

http://www.foodshuttle.org/childprogram.html

I was hoping to find one closer to home that we might be able to participate in.

Thanks!

2. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

pretty sure Wilson Mills Elementary still does this and not sure on Cooper, they may...

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I don't like the sounds of this....

4. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

Isn't this what got the band teacher at West Johnson in trouble?! :lol:

5. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i seem to remember hearing first baptist church in smithfield participates in this program by making up the backbacks. i could be wrong.

db's wife

6. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Contact Inter-Faith. I volunteer there and know that they distribute the backpack buddies through many different agencies and likely there is one near you. You can also contact the JoCo branch of the United Way. Inter-Faith is a UW member agency, so they would be aware of any similar agencies or distribution sites that are more local.

7. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

First Baptist Church (553-4161) , Clayton, participates with Cooper Elementary for Backpack Buddies. A great outreach ministry. We have a collection container in the hall by our administrative offices.

8. Crysta

Crysta Guest

This is a great charity to volunteer and bring your kids! A great civic learning experience for the kids, and anyone old enough to put canned and boxed goods into a backpack can help out in a big way.

9. thewildmom

thewildmom Well-Known Member

My office sponsors 20 kids at a middle school in Raleigh. We buy the food, pack the backpacks, and deliver to the school 4-6 times a year. It is a really cool program, and you can participate on whatever level you want - donating food only, packing backpacks only, or doing the whole process. The Interfaith Food Shuttle is an awesome organization!

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I agree, I forsee future lawsuits! :jester:

11. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on y'all to help me out.... :)