Bagworm help?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by keemom, Sep 3, 2013.

1. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

We have about 15 Leland Cyprus (I think) trees that are about 30 feet tall and have bagworms :(. Is it worth spraying the trees now or do we need to wait until spring? Is there something we could put around the base of the trees to seep in and help? Is this a landscaper or exterminator job?
    Thanks! We are pretty new to having so many trees/shrubs to care for and very little experience.

2. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

We had bagworms last year in one of our Leland Cypress. We went down to the local Lowe's and bought an insecticide that covered pretty much every type of worm and/or bug, used the typed that had the garden hose attachment so that we had good coverage and sprayed several applications to kill those little buggers. I think my husband sprayed the tree and the trees on both sides of it (just to be safe) about three times, waiting several days between applications. You'll know that it has worked when you pull one of the bagworms off and it seems to be very brittle and when you squeeze it no worm pops up out of the top. The bags tend to stay on the tree though, even after they are dead, very tough little things. It also took our tree several months to start recovering from the damage the worms caused. We have not had a return of them this year but we are on the lookout for them after this experience.

3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

i used that "tape" that goes around the base of the tree. seems to work for me. its also at lowes.