Bedbugs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 23, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

All this talk on the news about bedbugs is freaking me out,makes me itch just thinking about it. I heard it's supposed to be especially bad in NY but they say it's just a matter of time...sort of like the fire ants I guess. I know that the very first thing I will be doing once we get to our cabin in the mountains is to check under the mattress :?
    I think I'd prefer fire ants any day over bed bugs,it's also expensive to have them removed,especially if they use the method where the whole house is heated up,like turning your home into an oven.

2. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Bed bugs freak me out. I travel a lot and am always reading about how the most common way to get them is by airport and hotel travel. So I always scower (sp?) my hotel rooms and as soon as I get home I put my clothes in the dryer on hot and leave my luggage in the garage. And every time I lay in a hotel bed, I freak out every time I have a little itch or twinge. Totally sucks.

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

The thought of traveling overseas right now is freaking me out to. My husband cruised the website for bedbugs. Yes, there is a website that shows you what hotels they are in...yuck! I cringe now every time I change the sheets. Sad, isn't it? They said they're rampant and just a matter of time before they're everywhere. Take stock in Serta folks. LOL. Good night.

stephanie--mom to 7

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

It's all Obama's fault. :lol:

Sherry

5. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

what's the website? I have to travel soon and usually stay in Hampton Inn's but I know these critters could be anywhere.

6. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

7. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

www.bedbugregistry.com

Just enter a city and state and it will show you all the reports in that specific area.

8. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't think I will ever stay in a hotel again. They seriously squicked me out before all this bedbug crap, I don't care how nice a hotel it was.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The computer equivalent of putting fingers in ears and yelling political babble!

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I truly feel sorry for you having to travel so much!!

12. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I am going out of town in a couple weeks. I just checked the hotel and at this time there are no reports on it. I will have to look each night...:lol:

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

My mom travels alot, and she is super paranoid about bed bugs and the possibility of unknowingly bringing them home in her luggage. She went to her local exterminator and they sold her an aerosol spray for bed bugs. About a week before she travels she takes her luggage and any travel bags going with her down to the garage and sprays them all inside and out. She even sprays them a second time on day 2, she makes sure she gets spray in all the zipper pockets, under the linings (some suitcases have a zipper out lining), etc. A couple of days before she goes she sets the bags outside, opened up, to air out from any residual odor there might be. So far this has worked for her.... they explained to her that even if something should get in her suitcase from clothes that were in drawers or hung in closets they would die because of being confined in the suitcase that had been treated and not able to escape.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

<shiver> I think I'd just leave my luggage outside, then bring the clothes straight to the hottest setting on my washing machine. Plus what Tassy said. Maybe I'll just burn the luggage and the clothes each trip. :ack:

15. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

or better yet, just become a nudist!

16. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I saw a report on TV about them the other night. They only heated an area inside the living room that was sealed off with all the bedding, etc in it. They heated it to 130 degrees, I bet we could get to that temp easy in the summer without the AC! Why not just leave the suitcases in the car for a day in the sun? Oughta smell great when you get them out, lol.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Some of us are lucky to be home 24 hours a week. :x

18. 86racer

86racer Guest

what chemical did you buy?

19. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I'm supposed to go out of town about 2 hrs away next week for two days of meetings. I would normally stay overnight at a hotel since the meeting the second day starts at 7am. With all this talk, I may just drive back and forth even though it means leaving here in the morning by 4:30am!

20. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

You're a SMART LADY!!!! I would not stay in a hotel or motel unless I had no choice! JMHO Pat